YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>just got back from a very enjoyable ,though short afternoon at stoney. met up with simon tw . have they moved the boat?? stangarth? but i found a MINI ans Landrover i have never seen?? anyway like i was saying all in all a good afternoon. my first time with a semi dry suit, so i struggled with bouyancy which pissed me a bit.also had a steel 15ltr tank which confused my bouyancy towards the end of my dive??. would recomend simon tw as a buddy. fantastic sense of humour. look forward to the next time simon.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You were quick with the report, I've only just got home, M6 northbound closed. However I knew a natty little shortcut around, thus avoiding the diversion. Problem being so did another 3000 drivers. Dammed sat nav.

Good dive though, told you I could suck air. I may change to twin 25 ltr lead tanks.

I've worked out my consumption to be .6ltr per min.

Doe's this make me an airaholic?

Give us a shout when you want to do it again Simon.  

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>hello mate, it took me one and half bloody hours to get home
i am doing all the workers shifts 2 morrow nd interveiwing someone in morn. hopefully i can start them on mon give a wek training then hopefully have lots of time for getting wet. i am going to purchase a semi dry i think and then also take the dry suit option in  the winter as at 17degrees i was not cold at all. bouyancy is the only little detail to work on.oh yes and a compass reading course(just for a little help???)i dont think i did too bad???. anyway see you soon matey ok???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>yes it certainly does make you an airaholic??a twin set might be a little too heavy?? you will have to lose some weights??talk soon. glad i never put you off diving again??

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've worked out my consumption to be .6ltr per min.
Err, I can fart more than that a minute
, are you sure you worked it out right.

Presure used / time / Depth in Bar.

Sorry to question you but if I had an SAC like that I would still be on the Duke right now.

Andrew

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

60 litres a minute is an airoholic. What i'd give to have a SAC of .6 lpm.  I wouldn't give up smoking though.  I could do most of my dives on a 7.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>hi simon,in any formular 15ltrs is a lot to suck in. if they can give you a correct formula i would be interested as i wittnessed it!!! see you soon mate:p

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Surface = 1 bar
10m = 2 bar
20m = 3 bar
30m = 4 bar

Take a look at the PADI open water manual (think I remember you saying you're PADI trained?) p 26-27.

Tom

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Normally I work it out as Diff in Press i.e. Press In - Press Out x Size of tank
= 240 - 50 = 190 x 15
Divide by time say 30 mins
Divide by Aver Depth in Bar (as it says above) so 15m = 25 bar

In this example we have SAc = (190 x15)/(25 x30) = 38l/min
which would be a bit heavy.
BSAC reckon 25l/min, but most of the older hands here get better than that, I get 25l/m and I have 50 dives, I'm told it will get better  

HTH
Matt

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

I shouldn't worry about you SAC at this point, a friend of mine once said (just after a rather dodgy dive) that there is no substitute for miles on the clock, the more you dive, the better your SAC. The trick is to relax completely.

Andrew

Yeh, I echo what DD say's below, pleasure before thought I say

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon TW @ Oct. 03 2003,20:48)]I will be consious of controlling my breathing on my next dives and see if it improves.
No don't do that, just enjoy the dives, your air consumption will lower but its not that important at the moment, enjoying the dive is.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Don't fall into the trap of comparing gauges after a dive, it's complete b*ll*cks.  The fact that you're stood there talking to them after the dive, proves that you had enough air.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I know that I shouldn't, but I do feel guilty if my buddy has 100 bar left after a dive and I'm almost out.
I do Inform my buddy that I use a lot of air but I dont think they quite realise how quick it goes.

I'm starting my AOW in Scapa on Tuesday and on the way home will be doing some dives with Peterk possibly in Loch Long. I didn't want to rush and do the advanced until I had more experience but the advice that I've received was that doing the advanced would give me additional experience and broaden my knowledge.

I am not very studious and I try and absorb as much as possible from the knowlwdge and experience of others as I progress so the help with the sac will be rememberd and is very much apreciated.

When I return from my trip up north I'll post a report then I'm off to Egypt for a few weeks, however, when I return I've nothing booked. So if you have any spaces available on any dives suitable for a novice please let me know, anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

Thanks again.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Don't try to control your breathing at this stage,  just relax and enjoy the dive.  

I find my best SAC rates have always been on dives where I have not been conscious of my breathing rate.  

Trying to control your breathing in my experience generally does not help as you might end up skip breathing.

And don't worry about your consumption being worse than your buddies,  If they are a good buddy they will understand and not care that they have had to end a dive with 100 bar and if they do care then they are not worth diving with.

Daz

1 - 20 of 50 Posts