YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
it may be a stoopid question but i have just bought a second hand whites tri-lam drysuit and it has rock boots but also a pair of soft neoprene socks.
so whats the deal? do you wear the neo socks over the suit socks as an extra sock inside the rock boot? or do you put them on before getting into the drysuit as an under sock? or is it an alternative to the rock boot?
thanks !
:confused:

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
My suit {not whites} has neo socks attached, I just pout on the boots over the suit. What is on the bottom of the legs of your suit?

I guess the answer is do what seems best, if the material of the foot is very light them putting the sock between it and the boot would seem sensible.

I hear good things about these suits and would be interested as to how you get on with it and of course we want to see a picture ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
the whole suit including the foot pocket/sock is of tri-laminate - there is no hard sole/boot attached.
as with my old suit and all i've seen you just put your boots on over the suit, this has a totally seperate set of neoprene socks, i would imagine your feet a bit sweaty if you wear them under? i tried the suit on and just had normall socks on inside then the neo socks over and then the rock boots, felt ok but a slight feeling of the trilaminate crunching against my feet.
i think i'll have to experiment!!
PS. you are welcome to try a dive in it if you want, seems very well made. i had to buy something quick as i am away for the weekend diving and had my suit nicked along with some other bits and am waiting for the insurance outcome. i may keep it or sell and get another dui, undecided at the moment - will know after the weekend!

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
i did not get any neo sock with my whites suit only the rock boots which work great the only thing i have to do is wear 2 pairs of sock to keep my feet warm which is one pair of walking sock and then a pair of 4th element artics, the suits are well build and seam fairly stream lined compared to my old one.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
yep, i normally wear 2 pairs of socks, 1 normall and 1 skiing socks. toasty in most waters.
confused !! i'll have 2 experiment.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i first thought, and how i put them on but you can feel the tri-lam scrunch your feet a bit. tried it all on last night with the neo socks on my feet before donning the suit and it felt more comfy and very warm, i might ask on whites website.

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
I think they are probably to keep your feet warm and to prevent any damage to the tri-lam sock while suiting up, so my suggestion is over the sock but before the boots :)
thats the main thing i'm worried about is getting a hole in the sock when kitting up so i have a old piece of carpet in the back of the car to kit up on as a stone could quite easily put a hole in the sock

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
my old drysuit bag used to open out into a mat, this suit comes in a rucksack - not quite as usefull to be honest so i think i'll do the same, probably get a cheap foam rolled up sleeping mat and buther it :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
You put the neo sock on your feet before donning the dry suit, they keep your feet warm and they also make the dry uit feet more commfy due to the nature of the material the suit is made of, if yoiu wear without the neo socks you can feel the material bunching up when you put on the rock boots, the later Whites suits came with primaloft socks instead. Hope this helps.
Daz

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
It may be that the previous owner found the sock part of the suit itself a little loose and wore the neoprene sock to fill out the suit sock a little better. Normally you put the suit on and then put the rock boots on. With my suit, I wear my Xerotherm socks inside the drysuit and then put the rock boots on so thats the normal way to wear any separate kind of sock.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The soft socks are designed to wear on your feet to soften the afect of the material the socks on the suit are made of, most suits that incorparate a rock boot system have neoprene socks attatched to nthe leg of the suit where as the whites suits are made from the same material as the rest of the suit.

Daz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts