YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

A dive club from Eastbourne has reportedly had 7 full sets of kit stolen - predominantly Scubapro make.

I will post more detailed information when I get it.

I generally find dive'ims and dive'ers such wonderful people that I find that I take it personally when someone steals dive kit - even if I do not know the affected parties.

If you happen to hear of anything suspicious ref kit for sale pls do the decent thing and shop the bastards.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 31 2004,16:47)]Am at the ready with two bricks............
Don't get your fingers trapped as that will really smart.  

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>If these b***ards get caught it would be nice if they could be barred from all diving organisations (if they're divers themselves). I don't know if BSAC or PADI could or would do that, but it would be a good deterrant to all such people.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

THere's no real reason to assume that the thieves are necessarily divers, towrags will nick 'owt and  as long as someone will buy the stuff without question they'll be able to punt it on. My mate who likes kayaking as much as diving went to view something advertised as "A large canoe, open to offers" to find some charva (who couldn't tell you the keel from the splashdeck) with a top notch 21 foot sea kayak worth over two grand, needless to say my mate didn't buy it.

Most dive kit has serial numbers (even drysuits) so if it seems a bit dodgy there's no harm checking with the police. Actually, the  Marine Police did a big push on this at our regional dive conference earlier this month and encouraged everyone to list the serial numbers of all their kit, it helps them to help us if such situation arises with your kit

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Imported post

Hmmm...

I figure 100Kg round the neck, 20bar in a 3L pony with no reg & send 'em off to 200M for a bimble.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 31 2004,17:08)]THere's no real reason to assume that the thieves are necessarily divers,
Agreed (indeed one would hope not), however, the eventual purchasers thereof ...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 31 2004,17:08)]Most dive kit has serial numbers (even drysuits) so if it seems a bit dodgy there's no harm checking with the police.
This raises an interesting point. Does anyone register their equipment serial numbers with the police or another organization? Perhaps an online database of serial numbers would be helpful?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

This is exactly the thing they (the Marine Police) were trying to promote, ie logging your kit SNs with them. I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the paperwork they were circulating and I'll pass it on via here.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi

BSAC have a National Kit Register on their web site.

Paul

·
A true Galapagos Adventurer
608 Posts
Imported post

Is the kit register open to anyone, i.e. PADI affiliated divers, or is it just for BSAC members?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Anyone I think, but there is a £8 joining fee, and £6 annual fee. Profits go to a trust supporting diving based research.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

I was thinking more of a free online database where people can register their items and serial numbers and say if they're in use or stolen. When someone comes to buy and item they can select the type of item (ie cylinder, reg, etc.) and enter the serial number to see its status (in use, for sale, stolen, etc.), name of the owner and a messenger app so you can contact the owner without them having to disclose their email address. It would also be possible to get lists of stolen equipment straight out of the database and either have them emailed/listed online/sent via XML to clubs, the police, etc.

This would be really easy to do. Would it be something that people would use?

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Imported post

If anyone can let me have the serial numbers of the stolen kit, I'll make sure they are circulated around our local competitors - Eastbourne is not that far away and we get quite a lot of people in offering us kit.

Hopefully, we may be able to turn something up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts