YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nikon D300 and MDX-D300 Housing.

My strobes are not firing; having worked fine before. I have tried all the following, and currently ran out of idea. Hence, looking for advice.

I have tried the following:
1) Change all new batteries for both strobes. Able to switch them on. Also new battery in the housing where it connects to to the electric circuit.
2) Put to TTL both on camera and strobes. Also tried manual.
3) Tried on P, A and S modes.
4) Tried on various aperture settings, shutter speeds
5) Tried EV values from -5 to +5
6) Checked numerous times that the dual sync cord are connected properly. Dried the contact points out.

Is there anything I should have done; or do I have to conclude that either
1) The dual sync cord is defective, and I have to get a new one?
2) The electric circuit within the housing is defective and I have to send it for a service?

Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I have a Nikon D300 and MDX-D300 Housing.

My strobes are not firing; having worked fine before. I have tried all the following, and currently ran out of idea. Hence, looking for advice.

I have tried the following:
1) Change all new batteries for both strobes. Able to switch them on. Also new battery in the housing where it connects to to the electric circuit.
2) Put to TTL both on camera and strobes. Also tried manual.
3) Tried on P, A and S modes.
4) Tried on various aperture settings, shutter speeds
5) Tried EV values from -5 to +5
6) Checked numerous times that the dual sync cord are connected properly. Dried the contact points out.

Is there anything I should have done; or do I have to conclude that either
1) The dual sync cord is defective, and I have to get a new one?
2) The electric circuit within the housing is defective and I have to send it for a service?

Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance.
My first port of call would be to try another dual sync cord as they're notoriously unreliable! It might also be worth sending it to Aquaphot and ask if they'll test it for you...

Aquaphot | Underwater photography equipment | service

Failing that, I suspect the enclosure will be the next thing you'll be sending to them...

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Indeed. I'd put money on it being the sync cord. That's half the reason why I use fibre optic instead of wired sync cabling for my strobes... so much more reliable and cheaper to replace ;-)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dried the contact points out.
:eek:mg:

I would rather hope that they never get wet.

Assuming that the camera is working properly and so are the strobes then the possible problems are:

the hotshoe connector to the housing sync;
the sync connection;
the cable.

I have never heard of anyone damaging the hotshoe connector without doing something that they would know about (like shutting it between the housing). Unlikely.

Look in the sync connection on the housing. Is there any sign of salt or green on the contacts? If this has got wet then this could well be your problem. It can be cleaned with lighter fluid is very careful. Alternatively, give it to Kevin.

Dual cables are a waste of time and can apparently even act as a conduit for water into the connector. Get rid. If you have two sync connectors, use them. If not, call Kevin and get a 2nd one. Dual cables are unreliable and fragile. It you must have one, have 2 or 3 for reserves.

Daniel

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
What are the strobes? Try firing using the optical slave if they have that ability just to make sure the strobes actually work. It's unlike both have broken at the same time though.
Rob

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Given that it seems that neither strobe is firing I'd say that it's a splitter problem. Once upon a time we had a guy here in Oz who had sourced some really good cords out of France which he then married up to your connectors, having refurbished them. These were practically bulletproof but unfortunately he's retired and I've lost touch. The cords, just like Sennheiser microphone and headset cords, had a pliant steel cable running through them anchored to the connectors which ensured that you couldn't overstretch the cord, good stuff.

To test, get a single sync cord. If your first strobe works with it, well and good. If the second strobe works with it your double is stuffed, probably at the splitter. But don't throw it away, have a sniff around for someone in your neck of the woods who can refurbish the connectors, including that splitter, and then put a decent sync cord set onto it. It's likely to cost you less and the repair is likely to be more robust than a brand new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.