YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am suffering a major mugostrophe!!

Since we moved to our new place of business my personal mug has disappeared and I'm having to use one of the "stock mugs" all of which are stained with tea.

Is there any way to get them clean? I assume the staining is due to tannin and won't be removed by soaking in vinegar?

It is not that I am mean but I'm trying to avoid throwing away some perfectly good (and pleasantly decorated) mugs.

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
OK, I am suffering a major mugostrophe!!

Since we moved to our new place of business my personal mug has disappeared and I'm having to use one of the "stock mugs" all of which are stained with tea.

Is there any way to get them clean? I assume the staining is due to tannin and won't be removed by soaking in vinegar?

It is not that I am mean but I'm trying to avoid throwing away some perfectly good (and pleasantly decorated) mugs.
Soak them with Sterodent tablets. Apparently.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Fill a mug with cold water, put in a few squirts of bleach. Leave for a couple of hours (until stains disappear) and rinse well. If can't wait that long, use more bleach.

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Soak them with Sterodent tablets. Apparently.
I concur! Put a tablet in each and then cover with boiling water. Make sure you do it over a draining board. They froth a lot!

Clean my teapot that way and works a treat! Preferred the thought of using denture tablets to bleach!

·
Registered
100 Posts
A good strong solution of Milton (baby bottle steralising fluid) will work the trick too (and less likely to kill you than real bleach). Leave it for 24 hours-ish.

:)

Tom

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I concur! Put a tablet in each and then cover with boiling water. Make sure you do it over a draining board. They froth a lot!

Clean my teapot that way and works a treat! Preferred the thought of using denture tablets to bleach!
I suppose he might have Sterodent tablets to hand, rather than bleach!

Never heard of the things myself! :angel:

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
A good strong solution of Milton (baby bottle steralising fluid) will work the trick too (and less likely to kill you than real bleach). Leave it for 24 hours-ish.

Tom
Hence the mention of 'rinse well'. I don't take to drinking bleach either.

But it's what me and my family have always used, it's in the kitchen cupboard and it's quick and cheap. :)

And it gets your sink clean at the same time when rinsing the cups.

·
it's life but not as we know it
92 Posts
Just fill with more tea - the stains add to the flavor :)

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Buy a mug that is black inside...you need never wash it again. I don't :embarassed:

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
All of the above will do it but I just use a pan scourer, soapy water and elbow grease.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
it's life but not as we know it
92 Posts
change from tea to coca-cola and then you can the clean your mug at the same time as you drink :teeth:

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of the above will do it but I just use a pan scourer, soapy water and elbow grease.

Safe diving,
Steve
But that'll scratch the nice shiny glazed surface?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Tom
Are you insane! 24 hours without a brew?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi.

Take it round to your local building site, give it to one of the laborers and ask him to clean it.

He will take it out to the sand pile put sand in rub it round with his fingers and hey presto your mug will look pristine!.

Or you could take it diving and do the same thing while underwater, and save rinsing it off.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
But that'll scratch the nice shiny glazed surface?
No it won't, I'm talking about those green fibre ones not Brillo pads :)

Safe diving,
Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts