YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I fancy learning a lot more about the oceans but can't afford (time or money) to do an entire degree in marine biology!  (Think that would be taking my interest a bit too far and would rather get myself into debt through the purchase of more dive gear!).

Can anyone recommend any good books or vids that might help develop my interest?  The Blue Planet was a great education for me so I wonder what else I could be looking at when I'm not submerged?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Lesley

While not pure Marine Biology, I found 'Mapping the Deep' by Robert Kunzig an easy read. It is more about Oceanography and its history, along with possible extrapolations from recent discoveries.

Adrian

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>A couple of my favourite books.

Watching Fishes.
The Shark Watchers handbook.

Daz

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

The book of The Blue Planet is very good IMO, good solid intro to the oceans, currents, sea floor, etc, in addition to the info from the programs...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys, I'll give these a go.  While on the subject of good reads for divers, I've just read a brilliant collection of tales called "The Fireside Diver" - it's an anthology of diving adventures written by some of the best writers "on and under the sea".

It's a great book for reading after a day's diving.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ June 18 2003,15:58)]The book of The Blue Planet is very good IMO, good solid intro to the oceans, currents, sea floor, etc, in addition to the info from the programs...
Am soooo buying that book on the way home tonight - loved the TV series and it is now the most watched DVD in my collection!  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

The university here in Gothenburg does a nice introductory course in marine biology. You can do it as an evening course or as a 10-week full-time summer course, as I did a few years ago. I'm not suggesting you move to Sweden but don't the UK universities have anything similar?

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Lou

The Marine conservation Society do a, I think it is a weekend course on marine identifiction.  Haven't done it myself but kno lots who have.  Not sure where you are but people I know have done it at Menei (oh, can't spelt anyway between Angelsey and the mainland)

You might like to try that one first, if you join the MCS they have dive trips aswell.  Joining is about £25 per year you get magazine and info.

Fiona

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ June 19 2003,12:29)]The Marine conservation Society do a, I think it is a weekend course on marine identifiction.  Haven't done it myself but kno lots who have.  Not sure where you are but people I know have done it at Menei (oh, can't spelt anyway between Angelsey and the mainland)

You might like to try that one first, if you join the MCS they have dive trips aswell.  Joining is about £25 per year you get magazine and info.
Thanks for that Fiona, I'll check it out.  I was considering joining the MCS anyway so this gives me a kick start!!

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry Lesley don't know why I called you Lou, I have been emailing my friend on OZ and she is Louise.

FB

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>have you got a contact for MCS? , it sounds like the sort of thing me and our Bethi would like.
jules

·
Registered
17 Posts
Imported post

MCS does their introductionary Observer course in York on 28th June and in Sittingbourne (Kent) on 29th June. They also plan for a courde in Northern Ireland in October. Dates tba.
Mika

1 - 13 of 13 Posts