YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sure someone will be able to help me here, when i boot my pc up in the bottom right hand corner is a load of icons eg yahoo messenger,msn messenger, pando, quicktime. i'm wanting to stop these automatically starting when i boot up. I still want them on my pc but just to be able to choose when to use them not have to go through them all when booting up can anyone explain how you do this, prob simple but i can't figure it out n i'm tearing what little hair i have left out. Cheers, Si:teeth:

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Try right-clicking on each icon and look for something like 'Options' or 'Setup' in the resulting menu. You should find some sort of checkbox or switch that allows you to turn of auto starting of these applications.

It drives me round the frigging bend that when I upgrade iTunes they assume I want QuickTime - no I fecking don't.

·
Go in deep and come out wet
731 Posts
Start --> Run --> Type in "MSCONFIG"

You should be able to disable whatever you want in there

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
759 Posts
It drives me round the frigging bend that when I upgrade iTunes they assume I want QuickTime - no I fecking don't.
Same, grrr :angry: lol

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
Think yourself lucky. I only wanted Quicktime, but found that I had to download iTunes! Sod that.

Diesel, various places that windows hides startup programs:

Start Menu / All Programs / Startup

Just right-click the items you don't want and delete them.

Start Menu / Run / MSCONFIG will sort out most other issues. Click on the Startup tab and untick anything you don't want. If you're not sure what some of the items in the list are for, you can search for the command names. The location usually gives it away. If you're still not sure then leave it alone.

Also consider uninstalling the stuff you NEVER use. In the Control Panel / Add Remove Programs, as well as the obvious list, try selecting the Add/Remove Windows Components icon on the left to access stuff such as Windows Messenger, Windows Fax Services and so on.

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Me too, wanted qt to run some daft game or other and along comes [email protected]@dy itunes.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Mini hijack - Don't use quicktime then.. Use one of the quicktime alternative programs : quicktime alternative - Google Search

Back to the thread - completely agree with what people have said: check the startup group and also in MSCONFIG. Un-install all the junk you don't use - then use a registry cleaner to clean, defrag and compress the registry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers all, gonna try and get my pc running at more than 1mph. Done virus check, spyware checks n defrags just got to get some of this crap out of startup. Thanks again Si.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts