YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Guys,

There is the remains of a submarine reported to lie in 6m on Warwick Reef, Warwick Bay  between Haven and St Ann's Head Pembrokeshire. Anybody have any info on this boat please?

cheers Ron

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Your nearest match is E39, 13/9/1922. pos'n 51,41,24N 5,09,18W (60ths) and it's Watwick bay. Built by Palmer 9/11/1916 sold to S.Wales salvage co. foundered and broke tow. Been heavily blasted and salvaged. Parts do remain approx depth 8-10m.

It's halfway along the coast from St Ann's Head to Dale. Can't guarantee the accuracy of the chart positions as I've not dived her myself.

HTH.

gareth

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>er yeah dived by complete change dropped in the first bay round from dale might of been second though centre of the bay and in the entrance

not alot there just some rusty metal that looked well like um nothing really but going but what is around the area thats all it could of been

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Many thanks Gareth and Beanie

Much appreciated

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (beanie @ April 26 2004,15:16)]er yeah dived by complete change dropped in the first bay round from dale might of been second though centre of the bay and in the entrance

not alot there just some rusty metal that looked well like um nothing really but going but what is around the area thats all it could of been
<font color='#0000FF'>beanie,
what!!!!

cheers
barrie

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>o
I was what all of 17/18 at the time

I meant to look in my log to see if I said anything more at the time

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (beanie @ April 26 2004,15:16)]er yeah dived by complete change dropped in the first bay round from dale might of been second though centre of the bay and in the entrance

<font color='#0000FF'>beanie,
note to self..........do not post after 16 pints.

cheers
barrie

·
Registered
254 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>The worrying thing is he was stone cold sober when he posted that!  

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Anyway was the 08/07/98 15:36

depth 10.4m

Dive on a little wreck we found a wee little steel boat not very big no souveners on it carried on for a bit of a senic dive not much to see.

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

HI Guys

Thanks for the info and help.
The wreck is HM submarine E39 as indicated and she lies in position:
51 41'.426N 005 09'.364W (WGS84) in 5m lowest atsronomical depth and is very broken up, as would be expected after being heavily salvaged.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

The wattick bay sub is really just some small pieces of metal maybe 2-3m proud of the bottom and weed.  Its surrounded by a sandy bottom although there are rocks if you head north towards the shore there.

The bay is the last sandy bay before St Annes head (on the north side of the haven)

Tends to be used here (i) for novice divers first dives and (ii) a last resort when there is no slack in the haven and grotty conditions past the head.  Sand bottom can lead to awful vis though.

FWIW the E39 information is what ive been told to so fairly sure its the same sub.

Ive dived it twice.  Out of my log book:

7/6/03.  Max Depth 13m, Time 30 mins, Vis: 5m
"Not much left of the sub - just a few pieces of metal.  Some fishing line on it. Sandy bottom.  Fair bit of life around it and light with the sun shining down"

1/11/03.  Max Depth 14.6m, Time 31 mins, Vis: About 20cm

"Vis of 20cm far better than the mornings dive - could see computer this time with torch.  Near total darkness in places.  Went across sandy bottom (felt soft), onto the rocks (felt hard) and some kelp around (felt slimy).  After surfacing the boat was nowhere in sight - found it they'd gone round the corner to get out of the wind and missed our dsmbs"

All in all not a lot of good to you!

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Thanks String,
All the other info I recieved said the same. 5m lowest astronomical depth will match your depths too. Nice to know though
Cheers Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts