YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi YD's

Has anybody dived H5 off Wales before. I know she's out of bounds now as a Protected Military Wreck-site, but I'm interested in the condition of the wreck?

Cheers Ron

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

hi ron i dived it  once a couple of seasons ago with scott when he was chartered to film it for a documentary which as far as i know is still unsold.we had mike bowyer on board the guy who looks after the protection orders in this area
she lies in 58m and is about 54m on deck level
had a short   10 min bottom time as i remember as me inspiration went tits on me
from what i saw on my dive she was in relativley good condition  upright with a 15 /20 degree or so list ,spent most of my dive inspecting the huge bow shaped damage she had in her side near the conning tower  we named the "BIG GASH" i didn't go to the bow but apparently its a bit of mess  with a net thrown in for good measure.
i imagined she went down hard ,the bow  striking the sea bed first coupled with commercial fisherman snagging it and dragging  nets off.
the camera man terry a commercial saturation diver on his "week off" went back several times with scott and knows it like the back of his hand with video  of the whole thing.
keep meaning to go and have a look but always to busy
your right she is protected and theres no chance getting a licence to dive here now its all been filmed.
i expect your well clued up on her history .
hope its of use to you
cheers elfyn

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hi Elfyn

Much appreciated, sorry I did not get back to you earlier.

Cheers Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts