YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This specific topic has been mentioned at least once before and I didn't understand it then and .................. anyway, on BBC2 last night there was a science prog for schools between 2 and 4am. I just switched channels in time to hear the announcement "there is no such thing as a sucking force"!

Now, call me smutty and call me dumb BUT I think I know a sucking force when I feel one! I mean, if you osculate yourself (ooer missus) and then suck ......... well, where is the air pressure involved in that action. And as for ............... oral s............... well, suffice to say I am not happy about breathing air out of the atmosphere that gives pressure that has helped millions enjoy a nice blow ..................

I mean, it just makes sense (to me) ............ I can't believe that the fire brigade can't pump water more than 5 or 6 metres at one go ............. FFS, buy a bigger pump!!

Also, the subject of energy and energy conservation and the fact that we can't create or destroy energy only transfer energy .......... well, that kind of makes sense but what about nuclear explosions ....... caused by destroying those teeny weeny weedy little atoms and .................

Natch, the universe according to me was nothing like the real universe so I am recording the rest of the series (and repeats) so I can re learn that which I may have once known.

Oh well, I'll ask Ms Finless if I can have an atmospherically assited job tonight.

:):)

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I mean, it just makes sense (to me) ............ I can't believe that the fire brigade can't pump water more than 5 or 6 metres at one go ............. FFS, buy a bigger pump!!

:):)
I believe you mean lifting from an open water source.
OFPIT
Overcoming Inertia
Frictional Loss
Pump entry Loss
Inablility to create a perfect vacuum
Temperature
And that is some of the reasons why .:)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe you mean lifting from an open water source.
OFPIT
Overcoming Inertia
Frictional Loss
Pump entry Loss
Inablility to create a perfect vacuum
Temperature
And that is some of the reasons why .:)
Yes, the little demo they did at the end of the section which involved putting a sheet of newspaper on a desk top and a ruler under the paper with it's end poking out over the edge of the desk. Then they gave the ruler a good "thwack" and it broke and the paper hardly moved .............. all down to air pressure apparently! I think it was little table imps living in the grain of the wood that were hanging on to the paper .......... but what do I know! :(

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
finless your a sad git :)

oh I watched it too I thought half way through wished I had recorded it.

I liked the bit about freezing the air in the bloon back into a liquid.

David

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
finless your a sad git :)

oh I watched it too I thought half way through wished I had recorded it.

I liked the bit about freezing the air in the bloon back into a liquid.

David
I must have drifted off to sleep before that bit? Oh well, I've recorded it!

Who was that Fedi or Ferdi or Fredi woman ............. she had lovely bits in the climbing section on heat transfer! :)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Also, the subject of energy and energy conservation and the fact that we can't create or destroy energy only transfer energy .......... well, that kind of makes sense but what about nuclear explosions ....... caused by destroying those teeny weeny weedy little atoms and .................
but they aren't destroyed, they are merely converted from mass to energy. Which all makes perfect sense. If you haven't got any energy and sit around on your fat a*rse all day, then the energy you don't have gets converted into the mass of your a*rse. I tried to explain this to Mrs S in relation to why she doesn't have a size 6 bum any more, but just got clumped for my effort :D

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but they aren't destroyed, they are merely converted from mass to energy. Which all makes perfect sense. If you haven't got any energy and sit around on your fat a*rse all day, then the energy you don't have gets converted into the mass of your a*rse. I tried to explain this to Mrs S in relation to why she doesn't have a size 6 bum any more, but just got clumped for my effort :D
Yes ............. but what mass?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
mass of the neutrons. Mass and energy are merely 2 different ways of looking at the same thing. E= mc2 and all that bolox.
You need an extremely small amount of mass to create a HUGE amount of energy. Nuclear explosions are extremely INEFFICIENT ways of releasing energy under Einstein's equation (thankfully).

If one human was able to release all the energy within their own atomic structure simultaneously and immediately then it'd be goodbye Earth with a fair swathe of local solar system.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
If one human was able to release all the energy within their own atomic structure simultaneously and immediately then it'd be goodbye Earth with a fair swathe of local solar system.
Must be something wrong with me then. All my energy seems to have leaked out slowly.
Probably safer for the universe that way as I weigh more than 100kg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts