YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having purged my kit of these I am now considering re-introducing one.

This weekend I purchased a Yellow DSMB which I intend to use as an Emergency signal ( send up on the existing red/orange DSMB line with a slate for instructions).

I have thought about a boltsnap but am concerned that it might get fouled or tangled on the line during the ascent due to the relatively small aperture.

As the DSMB will be clipped to a bungee in my pocket do you think a suicide clip (carbiner) is acceptable and if not what would you suggest?

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
This idea was voiced by a diver on the DIR UK boat last year for second bags up lines. I think it's a good tool for this application.
stone her :)

David

Reactions: 57358

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
It works fine - I've experimented a few times and never had a problem.

Just make sure the line you send it up is reasonably taught.

[edit] I'm talking about a boltsnap[/edit]

·
Registered
454 Posts
why are carbiners the spawn of Satan. I use one to stow my torch and another to attach my SMB to the reel. Never had a problem with them and they seem the most logical thing to use.

·
Registered
454 Posts
uh oh, should I hide under my desk?

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
If you have a snap clip already I would use that, if not I would use a boltsnap.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
stone her :)

David
On the contery give her a medal coz she's spot on :D

I use a suicide clip on my Emergancy SMBs to alow me to send them up a line. It works well P snaps are not idealy suited to this aplication and its hard to accedentaly get entangled with a suicide clip thats in your pocket.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Last year, Matt and I were diving near another group who were using a DSMB attached to their line with a suicide clip.

Somehow, their clip snagged our line, clipped itself on, and the two DSMBs became entangled.

What about just using a large boltsnap?

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
why are carbiners the spawn of Satan. I use one to stow my torch and another to attach my SMB to the reel. Never had a problem with them and they seem the most logical thing to use.
Because their one way nature means line can get caught in them easily, but cannot pull out again without assistance.

Of course in a pocket there's no line for them to get caught on, so they are entirely safe IMO, as Clare and Mark have said, and I use one on my emergency yellow DSMB too.

I wouldn't use one on kit that is not stowed in a pocket though.

HTH

Dave.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Last year, Matt and I were diving near another group who were using a DSMB attached to their line with a suicide clip.

Somehow, their clip snagged our line, clipped itself on, and the two DSMBs became entangled.

What about just using a large boltsnap?
I wouldn't use one on my standard DSMBs, but on the yellow emergency one as the best method for allowing it to slide up my existing primary DSMB line I see no problem.

If my yellow SMB get's caught half way up my primary line then God obviously has it in for me that day and no amount of good kit is going to help :D

Dave.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i use a yellow emergency marker with a suicide clip on it !

and have it stowed in my costom diver waist pocket !

never had any problems either removing it from my pocket or sending it up my

primary line !

although a bolt snap is a bit more difficult to use ! i cant see a problem with either

option ! :teeth:

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
I have one on my yellow bag as well.

Never had cause to use it, but always bear in mind that unless it's discussed and agreed with everyone on the boat its useless anyway.

I was on a boat at the weekend where a yellow bag went up. It was a distinctly non-techy crowd, but even so no-one even batted an eyelid, and there was no issue.

If you are going to use a yellow bag, you need to remember the following

• Tell the skipper that yellow means problem
  • Get everyone on the boat to agree that so that they do not use them unless there is a problem
  • Tell everyone what actions should be taken (do you also take a drop tank?)

A yellow bag can be an indicator of a problem. It is not a solution in itself.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I have one on my yellow bag as well.

Never had cause to use it, but always bear in mind that unless it's discussed and agreed with everyone on the boat its useless anyway.

I was on a boat at the weekend where a yellow bag went up. It was a distinctly non-techy crowd, but even so no-one even batted an eyelid, and there was no issue.

If you are going to use a yellow bag, you need to remember the following
  • Get everyone on the boat to agree that so that they do not use them unless there is a problem
A yellow bag can be an indicator of a problem. It is not a solution in itself.
and maybe used in conjunction with a nice slate on top ! :teeth: a good point about making the skipper aware of it though gareth ! and the others on the boat

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
This idea was voiced by a diver on the DIR UK boat last year for second bags up lines. I think it's a good tool for this application.
Thud.... Right pick myself up off the floor.

Jay, Quick change Clare's password, someone has hijacked her account ;)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Absolutely!

The intention is to let the skipper know if he sees my Red DSMB (with my name on it) and a Yellow DSMB pop up or sitting next to it then I have a problem and that he'll find a slate clipped to the bottom of the yellow DSMB with the description of my predicament!

At the moment I don't have a drop tank....I don't have a stage yet either but it is my intention to get one.

I have a spare 15L which I will probably sell and buy a couple of stages one of which will act as a drop tank.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Oh dear, now you've gone and done it!
I am sure clare had a little smile at my comment.
Sometimes Humour has a fine line :)

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts