YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'll be doing a trimix course this spring and I was thinking of using my dry suit even tough this would be happening in Malta (relatively warm waters). I was thinking of using an inflation whip from my travel gas to the suit.

My question >>>> This inflator is usually on my regs that supply the back gas (usually I use air or nitrox). If I switch over the whip to the travel mix and back and forth (Depending on the back gas), would this damage the threads on the first stages?

My Twin set, travel and deco set up is very bulky and heavy, I am trying to avoid an extra argon tank - if I could. It also passed through my mind to rig another hose permanently on the travel mix regulator, since I'm starting trimix. This way I would use the back gas when I dive air or nitrox, and the travel mix when diving trimix. I don't fancy too many hoses but I don't think there is much choice………….

What is your opinion on this one???

Thanks

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

WARM WATER !!!??!! :ice: , ok I am a whimp compared to you but I am missing too much my lovely wetsuit. About the original subject, I don't think you would damage the threads by removing the hose, problem that if you are not going to use it is an other failor point. Also what type of hose is normally used? shorter hose or normal lenght.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lawrence,
You dont need to have 2 hoses just put a blank plug in the one your not using, it will not harm the threads swapping them over, what course are you doing?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I'm aiming the intro Trimix by TDI. Pierre is doing it with me but he's going for the adv too. Doing it in Malta versus Ontario, I figure there would be less stress. The cold water over here after the winter would take until July to warm up.

Thanks for the replies

Lawrence

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

I did my intro TDI in the Philippines and in a way wished Id done it here because this is where I dive and theres a big difference. Must admit I dont relish the thought of going 60+mtrs on trimix here, just yet, I want to build up to it with a few dives to 40 & 50 first.
Its a good idea to take the Dry suit( wish Id taken mine), as that is how you will dive at home. I have found things a little more tricky in cold dark water with a dry suit, if it was`nt for the weight Id would`ve taken mine. Next course will have to be in UK I think with Andy H
Let us know how you get on,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts