YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm off to Malta for a weeks diving at the end of March.  What sort of suit should I use - wetsuit or semi dry?  Should I hire something, or lug my 8mm semi out with me?  All info gratefully received, thank you in aniticpation.  Dive safely.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Frog,

I would say that at that time of year a 7mm semi dry would be fine.  So I would suggest you take yours rather than the additional expense of hire not to mention trying to find one that fits as well as your own (Not implying that you are a funny shape or anything, having never met you ;) )

HTH
Daz

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Sounds nice, Ann. Post a report when you get back.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

I've dived in Malta twice - once in March (with Noel Micallef at The Paradise Bay) and once in May with Sub-Way in Xemxija (I think that's how you spell it).
In March I dove in a 7mm Semi-dry and was warm, and in May I used my Membrane Drysuit with an undersuit and was lovely and warm.
On balance you would be best with your Semi-dry. They're not too much hassle to chuck into your suitcase!!

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

I've dived in Malta,well in the water surrounding actually in Jan in a 6mm wetsuit and was quite comfortable.It did'nt even smell of pee....till I used it.Never mind.Just see what they've got and get on with it,if you end up cold,call the dive and ask for something warmer.To be honest though you really should'nt have any probs either way.Depends if you want the baggage or not!Have fun,Hobby.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

I dove last summer there and lived there also (over 14 years ago). I used to use a 5mm all year round in the old days. Now that I got older (not old) ;) I would go for a 7mm.

Frog, try to arrange alternative dives incase you get stuck with rough water. It's an island and you can always go in the sheltered areas. Make sure to visit Gozo and dive there.  I enjoyed it better than the main island. The Blue Hole is 1st class. :eek:

Down in the south there is a decent WW2 aircraft wreck at 42m. Worth diving - seat is still in the cockpit, one prop is missing the other one still on the engine. Great dive. Call Aqua Bubbles for that sort of thing. Ray, :doctor: the owner knows a lot about it.

Pierre Farrugia
(who is usually on the forum) is from those areas and he knows some awesome sites. When we went by boat he directed me to some fabulous dives sites - he should become a diving guide.

Good luck

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello,
The water temp at the moment is 16'C ( http://www.maltairport.com/weather/ for weather report),in March it will be 14'C.A 7mm semi dry should be perfect, but as always depends on your body as no one fells cold same way. Me normally use a 5mm wetsuit longjohn and jacket for dives up to an hour, and also use a drysuit with a 100G undersuit.  
If you need anymore info just mail me

·
235 Posts
Imported post

Frog/Ann is diving with me whilst she is on Malta and having read her posting on 'wifes revenge' I sure as #### am going to show her some good diving and be careful not to upset her.

"Best I did was an ex's flat.  He did the dirty on me, so I got into his flat with the key he hadn't got round to taking back.  For starters, I stuffed fish heads into all the hollow curtain poles, broke eggs under the carpet and lightly trod in to create a vile but untraceable smell.  Removed fuses from the main fuse box, stitched prawns into his curtain linings, 'adjusted' the heating so it wouldn't turn off and stayed hot (he was on a weekend break - supposedly 'working'.  Then I started on his wardrobe.  I cut the sleeves off ALL his shirts but left them hanging under the suits, so he wouldn't know until he went to put them on.  Then I cut the zips out of the trousers none to tidily either, and cut the suit jackets up the back in such a way they couldn't be repaired.  I smeared butter all over the inside of his windows too.  Heating on full wellie - think about it.  I cut all the contents of his clothes drawers to shreds too, and the suits I didn't cut with the scissors (the most expensive silk ones) I gave to a charity shop.  Same with all his good leather brogues.  He also had me put on his credit card.  I had champagne (where I developed a taste for it), best chocolates, a couple of days in the top hotel of the city where I had EVERYTHING - massages, champers, oysters, hair do the works.  #### hath no fury like a frog scorned..."

BTW Pierre I will be sure to bring you a copy of my Malta diving CD.   If we don't see you together I will surely see you myself as I am there for nearly 8 weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts