YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Its Friday Hooray!!!!

Firstly apologies to all who have answered this question in the past, i am looking to buy a new suit in the near future and would like some opinions on membrane vs crushed neoprene. I currently have a NDiver neoprene suit and its just so cumbersome (or am I just getting old!)

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Tougher, but costs more.
If I'd been able to afford it, I'd have bought an O3, instead I bought an Otter membrane..
Make sure it's proper compressed/crushed stuff and not just a thinner layer of the normal stuff..

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I was looking at O3, they do interest free credit as well!

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

O3 are certainly excellent bits of kit,I've never heard anyone have any complaints about them.However even a "Great Wall of China" brand "peoples dry suit"copy of reject Bosnian Condom latex will be better than the ND suit(I know,I've got one too!)If it's neoprene you're after,it's a good choice,however also have a look at Dennis Mear's Predator Dry Suits( http://www.predator-wetsuits.co.uk  ).Dennis seems to be a really genuine guy who's come on the net for all to see,and I've heard good reports re.his suits,service etc.I once put a deposit on an 03 suit I was so impressed,events overtook me however and I did'nt get it in the end unfortunately.I'd still buy another but would look at Dennis's gear first before making a final decision.Hope this helps!Hobby.

(Edited by Hobby at 1:20 pm on Nov. 8, 2002)

(Edited by Hobby at 1:42 pm on Nov. 8, 2002)

(Edited by Hobby at 1:43 pm on Nov. 8, 2002)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

No matter what you get, it's worth the extra £50 for the pee-zip! I've got one on my ND 8mm neo, but not yet on my otter membrane.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Hi guys,

First time I have had some leisure time to myself (Sunday afternoon, cold and wet down here) and to see whats happening up there on YD for quite a few months now!

Thanks for the recommendations from you guys but please let me say that I am here as a diver who is interested in YD and diving and not here to flaunt for business.

Having said that, what I do know about are suits, and some of you know that I am always happy to help with advice where I can regarding wetsuit and drysuit probs, fit, repair etc and post likewise to, huhumm, other forums, and do not post my www. as a way of touting for business.

Regarding the subject on this post, it is often the case (in my experience) that some people buy on price, and I know that sometimes it probably has to be that way, but I mean that the piece of kit that is going to ensure a safe, pleasureable, successful, warm dive is often purchased as an ill fitting cheap option all to often.

The first and most important aspect to remember when buying any type of suit is the FIT!

A suit that may feel only just about right (let alone a suit that definatly does not fit correctly) in the showroom, and maybe bought in desperation, will definatly (I promise) cause you untold misery and be potentially life threatening when it really matters. How easy it is to stand in a nice warm, bright showroom or Show, and talk about diving and how good the kit is, but at depth, under pressure, in the cold, in the low viz, it will really matter that the kit is right when and if, God forbid,it ever goes pear shaped and you need to wriggle out of some sort of situation.

Another consideration is to make sure that the suit to be purchased is the correct suit for your requirements. With us this is arrived by discussing the type of diving the customer is doing at present and the type of diving the customer will be doing in the future including which type of kit setup they may use, this gives me a "feel" for the type of suit required and then we agree on the suit choice and configuration for the purpose before proceeding even to the measurement stage.

Well I could go on for hours, (and frequently do) about the many aspects, comparisons etc about suits, but if anyone needs advice on any aspect or type of suit just ask!

I'm off top get wet in the swimming pool,

cheers,

Dennis.

(Edited by DennisM at 4:22 pm on Nov. 10, 2002)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dennis!
May I take this  opportunity to ask you what the difference is between your Nytro and Nytro-TD membrane suits, apart from £130? Your website doesn't seem to make this clear, or perhaps I'm dense (Don't answer that you others!).
:sofa:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,

No probs, the Nytro-TD has double rubber taped internal seams, 4mm neoprene lined boots, shoulder dump , external zip cover flap, elasticated waistband and two pockets.

The Nytro is the same design and material but, is single rubber taped, has rubber boots and cuff dump as standard.

I may drop this suit as most customers are opting for the Neoprene suits and the TD, what are your comments? I would be interested,

Dennis.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I'm not actually in the market for a new suit just now but probably will be in a couple of years. The TD obviously has everything I would look for except one feature – rings on the cuffs so that I can change the wrist seals myself in a couple of minutes at low cost and will never need to miss a dive because a seal tears when I put my suit on. But maybe this is available as an extra?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,
Thank you for your comments, yes cuff ring and dry glove systems are an option that is available on all suits,
cheers,
Dennis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts