YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya YDers

Just come back from a sunny (and very hot) Nerja, Costa-del-sol, Spain. I didn't go there on a diving holiday but managed to get in two dives while I was there.

I dived with Buceo Costa Nerja - PADI 5 Star Gold Palm Resort scuba diving centre in Nerja, Malaga, Costa del Sol, Spain. PADI dive courses in Andalucia. Guided boat dives and shore diving.

Dive 1
After getting kitted up at the store, we strolled across the road and down the beach to the waiting RIB. A short 5 - 10 minute RIB ride took us to the dive site, Molino de Papel, in the Cerro-Gorrdo/Maro National Park.
We rolled in to 21 deg C gin clear water and descended to 8m for the very leisurely, relaxed drift dive. Highlights of the dive included a pair of mating octopi, aggressive male cuckoo wrasse chasing off other fish, large damsel fish, gobbies, conger and an octopus that fired ink at us when it saw us coming and then quickly swam off to another rock before firing yet more ink and then swimming off again - when it was swimming it was grey/blue and when it landed on the rock it would instantly change to yellowish/brown.

Dive 2
Another RIB ride from the beach and we were at the dive, Los Candelaboros, in the Cerro-Gorrdo/Maro National Park.
We rolled in to the 22 deg C gin clear and found ourselves surronded by huge shoals of fish. We descended to 12m and swam along leisurely. Pairs of catfish-style fish were building nests in the sand, more aggressive male cuckoo wrasse were chasing others away. We found blobs of jelly littering the sea-bed (eggs of some sort), starfish, urchins, gobbies, scorpionfish, octopi, large damsel fish and loads of other fish that I not seen before.

I later found out that the authorities have installed a 100+ "net" blockers to stop the fishermen taking their nets into the marine park. These blockers were installed in February this year and have made a huge difference already to the amount and size of life.
I also found out that there is a turtle-breeding program taking place in Malaga and that 3 artificial wrecks are to sunk in the park next February/March.

J

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Great report, it's amazing the difference these no take zones make.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The net blockers at some points are great big lumps of concrete and at other points are like are fence - but basically they snag the nets.

There is no rusty metal to dive yet. They are supposed to be sinking 3 wrecks next February/March - one of which I've been told is a replica of a Spanish galleon. But like everything else in Spain its "Maniana, Maniana" and it will happen when it happens :tongue: I can't wait for the wrecks to be sunk :tongue:

I've dived along this coast a number of times during the past 3 years and I have seen more life there in the last 2 dives than on any of the previous dives there - definite proof that no take zones and preventative measures (such as the net blockers) do work.

J

·
double agent
386 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old (ish) thread, but I will be visiting this area in September and was wondering if there was any requirements to provide a medical certificate to dive with the operators in this area.

Also was standard holiday insurance (i.e covered to 30mtrs) considered adequate?

I had also heard that there were some large cave/caverns in this area, anybody dived them, were they worth it?

Regards

W.C.D.

Hiya YDers

Just come back from a sunny (and very hot) Nerja, Costa-del-sol, Spain. I didn't go there on a diving holiday but managed to get in two dives while I was there.

I dived with Buceo Costa Nerja - PADI 5 Star Gold Palm Resort scuba diving centre in Nerja, Malaga, Costa del Sol, Spain. PADI dive courses in Andalucia. Guided boat dives and shore diving.

Dive 1
After getting kitted up at the store, we strolled across the road and down the beach to the waiting RIB. A short 5 - 10 minute RIB ride took us to the dive site, Molino de Papel, in the Cerro-Gorrdo/Maro National Park.
We rolled in to 21 deg C gin clear water and descended to 8m for the very leisurely, relaxed drift dive. Highlights of the dive included a pair of mating octopi, aggressive male cuckoo wrasse chasing off other fish, large damsel fish, gobbies, conger and an octopus that fired ink at us when it saw us coming and then quickly swam off to another rock before firing yet more ink and then swimming off again - when it was swimming it was grey/blue and when it landed on the rock it would instantly change to yellowish/brown.

Dive 2
Another RIB ride from the beach and we were at the dive, Los Candelaboros, in the Cerro-Gorrdo/Maro National Park.
We rolled in to the 22 deg C gin clear and found ourselves surronded by huge shoals of fish. We descended to 12m and swam along leisurely. Pairs of catfish-style fish were building nests in the sand, more aggressive male cuckoo wrasse were chasing others away. We found blobs of jelly littering the sea-bed (eggs of some sort), starfish, urchins, gobbies, scorpionfish, octopi, large damsel fish and loads of other fish that I not seen before.

I later found out that the authorities have installed a 100+ "net" blockers to stop the fishermen taking their nets into the marine park. These blockers were installed in February this year and have made a huge difference already to the amount and size of life.
I also found out that there is a turtle-breeding program taking place in Malaga and that 3 artificial wrecks are to sunk in the park next February/March.

J

·
Registered
164 Posts
While diving in the Costa del Sol/Gib. I had a PADI medical form to fill out. not HSE stuff for me. but I was not doing anything technical.

I am not sure about caves but I think ANDI is reaonably big in Spain for technical stuff.

James

·
double agent
386 Posts
You mean the standard "I wont sue you if I die" disclaimer forms, no insistance on an actual medical then?

just I saw a statement on this page Diving in Nerja, Nerja diving
in red about three quarters of the way down it states that "all certified divers must have valid dive insurance and medical certificate"

In my experience this is generally just another way to rip you off for another 40-50 quid, as they conveniently have their own doctor nearby.

Just wondering if it's worth taking my kit over....

W.C.D.

While diving in the Costa del Sol/Gib. I had a PADI medical form to fill out. not HSE stuff for me. but I was not doing anything technical.

I am not sure about caves but I think ANDI is reaonably big in Spain for technical stuff.

James

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is a few wrecks on the Costa Del Sol but from what I have heard you can fill a week with the wrecks in Gibraltor. as I went indecember they only took me to two or three sheltered sites. One 2 oe diving ased i Fuengerolla (if that how you spell it are whom I used and are British run) or near Malaga and in Gibraltor are Happy Divers (whom would be better if you do not require much assistance from what I have heard)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi WCD.
Not sure about that area but there are some caves in the Puerto de Mazarron/La Azohia area south of Cartagena. There are a few which can only be accessed by boat but one, Cueva de l'Agua, which is right beside the main road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.