YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have been diving with the guys from Divefun a few times and always enjoyed it, so I hooked up with them again last Saturday (12th) and was once again not dissapointed. The details.
We were due to meet up at 9, a very civilised hour, I arrived a little early and went in search of the guys remembering I had forgotten Scott's mobile number and car reg. Pretty typical of me really, sometimes my own slack attitude amazes me as it can be a complete opposite to the other side of my character. No matter, I strolled around and found his car after I had tried to persuade another guy he was one of the group, he wasnt. I have dived with Neville a couple of times and he is very easily recognised as he's black, not that many black divers, that's not racist just an observation and I had to pick the only other one and assure him he was part of our group, he wasnt, but to his credit he told me if I didnt find my group I could dive with him and his mates. If you are reading this, thanks, it got the day off really well. Scotts group were in the water I deduced and would surface some time later at which point I spotted Scott looking miffed, turned out he had broken a fin strap, didnt have a spare and neither did the shop. As it happened I did, saviour of the day as it turned out. After an intro to some of the others I dropped my stuff off at the bottom car park behind Scotts car and returned my car to the top car park.
First dive the Stanegarth, normal stuff apart from the 'new' washing line, now complete with black bra (large) and spotting a fair sized pike. Then back up to the chopper for a nosey as the gas was getting a bit low and a test of the pony rig. I gave that a good purge to see if it would freeze up, I use a Mares piston firtst stage supposedly OK <10, it was 8c.
It did freeze under extreme provocation but was OK once I had shut it down and re-opened it, quite impressed, certainly be OK under normal conditions I think, reassuring. Getting out was a bit difficult due to the number of divers but not too bad. A good SI and banter. Second dive was around the left hand ledge until down to 100 bar then return, OK plan, as I knew I wouldnt hit deco with my consumption (SAC) at about 25l/min. We dived the outward leg to plan and spotted a couple of pike, really lovely fish. Down to 110 bar and a turn to return, within a very short time I spotted the pike as I was leading the return leg and advised my buddy to have a look. What an absolute treat, we swam back just behind the pike for about 15 minutes. He was obviously happy to have us behind him and we posed no threat, my air consumption plummeted I was worried that my gauge had failed, I kept checking but it hardly moved because I was so relaxed in the fishes company and captivated by 'his' grace, magic. Unfortunately a couple of other guys joined us and the pike buggered off, shame, maybe he was at the limit of his territory anyway. Finished the dive with a purge of the other valve, an Oceanic SP4, it froze a bit quicker than the Mares but still took quite some provocation and got out grinning from ear to ear. Air check 50 bar left, so the return leg took 60 bar less, I knew was relaxed, but that was almost comatose! A really super dive 45 mins, chilled but not cold. What a super day. Dry suit stayed well dry and I had tested both ponies and really enjoyed it.
Thanks guys, Scott, Ian, Ling, Stuart and Graham (my PAdi Instructor Buddy).

OK I know it was only Stony, but I was doing what I love and it turned out really great. Top day. Good company, good weather and a good dive. Brilliant.
Matt

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Shhhhs they were a bit Northern, you know past Watford sort of Derbyshire, the lass (Ling) was actually from York.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts