YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Makes most sense when narked/drunk
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down in Baltimore, West Cork at the weekend, great place, great diving. The weather had been foul all week, but we were lucky and it cleared nicely over Friday night and was good all weekend.
I was hoping to dive with my RB, but due to technical issues I had to miss the first dive, and stayed on the boat so I got a bit of sunburn.
I dived OC in the afternoon and on Sunday, as I couldn't get the RB fixed without parts.
On the Sunday morning we were to dive the U260 in about 42-44m. I got all my kit ready and splashed on a load of suncream to ensure that I didn't get any more sun.
We dropped down the line with no issues. When we got to the bottom, somehow some sunscreen got into my left eye and started to sting. Then it got VERY stingy, to the point where I contemplated ripping off my mask just so I could rub my eye. In the end I decided to partially flood my mask (at 38m) to ease the pain, which it did, but I was still being driven mad. I did my required stops (with my eyes closed as much as possible and surfaced without any further issues, but decided I couldn't do the second dive as my eye was still bad.
Let this be a warning, don't put too much sunscreen near your eyes before a dive!

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Also dont put on sunscreen with your hands then use the same fingers to rub spit round your mask. It's fine to start with , then fogs up and keeps fogging up until you clean it off with detergent. I found this to my cost in the maldives where it completely ruined a dive.

Jules

·
give me convenience
2,436 Posts
Sunscreen is best avoided on your face entirely before a dive I think. It makes my mask about as much use as a sieve if I get sunscreen on the latex seal of the mask before I dive.

Having said that, a baseball hat and shades for the boat seems to keep even my extremely fair complection adequately protected on my face, even in the tropics.

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
I had the same problem on one dive in the Red Sea recently. I had to keep taking the mask off and rubbing my eyes.

After that my buddy gave me some factor 50 waterproof stuff which worked a treat. I can't remember the brand, but it comes as a green stick, like a big Pritt Stick.

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
I'm odd sunscreen shopping this weekend for red sea trip.

From the advice here I should satick to baseball cap / shades, and then carefully apply some pritt stick type stuff to other bits. Any brands to look out for, don't fancy a boat ride with no protection at all, but don't want stingy eyes either.

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts

From the advice here I should satick to baseball cap / shades, and then carefully apply some pritt stick type stuff to other bits. Any brands to look out for, don't fancy a boat ride with no protection at all, but don't want stingy eyes either.
I'll find out.

·
give me convenience
2,436 Posts
For the sake of clarity I still use sunscreen on my arms, legs, back of neck, shoulders, ears, top of head, neck and chin! I just do not put it anywhere near my face where my mask will be touching my skin.

I always wear a hat, shades and t-shirt on the boat to protect from the sun (good idea to take a bottle of water on too if its hot). Sadly I am truly whiter than white! This is all much to the amusement of my missus who is Indian, loves the sun and is normally busy taking the piss.

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
Bill, in my humble opinion you can dispense with the need for sunscreen on the boats. There's plenty of cover and you can move around to ensure you're always in the shade. I didn't bother with any on my last trip, just made do with a floppy hat and shades and a long sleeved shirt. That way you can't get any in your eyes and save the cream for when you're baking your bits ashore.....it's bloody hot there at the moment so I don't think you'll be doing much sunbathing

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
I had the same problem on one dive in the Red Sea recently. I had to keep taking the mask off and rubbing my eyes.

After that my buddy gave me some factor 50 waterproof stuff which worked a treat. I can't remember the brand, but it comes as a green stick, like a big Pritt Stick.
OK, I'm the one that gets "moonburn" according to most folks I know, e.g. lobster red after doing a stint of shore cover at Capers in April......

so I use a 50+ stick on the backs of my hands, neck and face
Boots own brand (Soltan) kids green face and neck sunblock

it's like a big green pritt stick as Lazlo says, so you can see where you've put it.
It doesn't wash off so easily, so you're less likely to end up with it in your eyes.

Looking on their website it doesn't appear with the rest and I got a reduced price one a couple of months back, so they may have changed the range.

I used this plus a 40 factor waterproof liquid stuff on one dive, and ended up with the stingy eyes and misted mask problem.

The green stick on it's own is sufficient for the slaphead protection I need!

take a wide-brimmed hat and fold up into your BC pocket for wearing on the RIB if you're not going to use sunscreen.

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts

If you can't get the Soltan stick I used, then probably other solid stick types are going to be less likely to run into your eyes with the sweat/water.

Haven't tried any of these once a day types, but have heard they're good for the follicularly challenged....

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Was down in Baltimore, West Cork at the weekend, great place, great diving. The weather had been foul all week, but we were lucky and it cleared nicely over Friday night and was good all weekend.
I was hoping to dive with my RB, but due to technical issues I had to miss the first dive, and stayed on the boat so I got a bit of sunburn.
I dived OC in the afternoon and on Sunday, as I couldn't get the RB fixed without parts.
On the Sunday morning we were to dive the U260 in about 42-44m. I got all my kit ready and splashed on a load of suncream to ensure that I didn't get any more sun.
We dropped down the line with no issues. When we got to the bottom, somehow some sunscreen got into my left eye and started to sting. Then it got VERY stingy, to the point where I contemplated ripping off my mask just so I could rub my eye. In the end I decided to partially flood my mask (at 38m) to ease the pain, which it did, but I was still being driven mad. I did my required stops (with my eyes closed as much as possible and surfaced without any further issues, but decided I couldn't do the second dive as my eye was still bad.
Let this be a warning, don't put too much sunscreen near your eyes before a dive!
Of course, the fact that you're a big ponce doesn't help either does it?

Eh? Eh?

:D

Was a cracking weekend though.

·
bubble maker
286 Posts
sunscreen

i have been using a spray suntan lotion that is alcohol based, no rubbing required, then it virtually disappears. lasts all day.

i generally spray it on to my hand, rub it on my face with a little care because it stings like.... if you get the alcohol in your eyes.

the best bit is it's cheap as chips. calypso sun care. made by linco care ltd, manchester.

·
177 Posts
dont see a problem with this take mask off open eyes and shake head, mask back on and clear?

Graham
I found that it is only a problem if the mask leakes and washes the sun skrean into your eyes.
I tried the above and it made it 10 times worse.
I was semi blind for a few min. until all the drips above eye level had run down into my eyes and my eyes subsequently stopped tearing. I regained clear vision but my eyes well destincly less than comfortable for the remainder of the dive.
The stuff is also a neckseal killer.
On a boat I get a lobster nose even with factor 65 anyway
So at the moment i just bear the burns i can't avoid by hat+ shades + something to cover the back of my neck sit facing away from the sun in the RIB. I was considdering to put up with the inevitable slagging and buy a Balaclaver or at least a nose flap to attach to my shades...

Now I will try the prit stick stuff first though!
Thanks for that Lazlo + Stuart.
But I will be sure to test it while snorkeling first!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.