YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Hope you don't mind me posting but I wanted to let you know about a Facebook campaign we've started. It's called Support YOUR Red Sea, and the idea is to encourage divers to spread the word that Red Sea resorts are calm and safe, and that now is the perfect time to travel to this fantastic destination!

The Red Sea resort areas and the individuals working within this region depend heavily upon tourism. The events in Cairo, a substantial distance from the Red Sea resorts, have put a huge amount of pressure on the livelihoods of residents and businesses in the Red Sea.

Fantastic sightings and great diving conditions are being reported. The resorts are much quieter than normal, which makes this an ideal time to travel. Few boats are out, and divers can enjoy peaceful dive sites without the bucket and spade clan.

As divers, we are able to appreciate the treasures that this world renowned dive region holds, and show our solidarity with the Egyptian people whilst they get back on their feet!

Also, as an extra incentive Regaldive is offering FREE travel & diving insurance worth up to £48 per person on all new Red Sea holidays booked by 4 March 2011. There are some really good offers to be had too.

We're encouraging everyone to enjoy the Red Sea without the crowds and support a country close to many divers' hearts.

Please JOIN the Support YOUR Red Sea community by spreading the message and liking the page. Feel free to post your Red Sea updates, photos and sightings on the wall too, we'd love to hear from you.

All the best
Emma
Regaldive :)

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
It's a great opportunity to get a great diving trip and keep the Red Sea operations in business because we need them. Everywhere else is much more EXPENSIVE to get to.

Reactions: samaka

·
1,036 Posts
Thats before Thompson took over

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
While I feel for you guys what with all the political turmoil in Egypt. The fact that there are far far fewer tourists there scares me.

I remember how bad it was walking around Naama bay and Sharm, where 1000's of tourists had the attentions of the street hawks hustling you. Now imagine all those street hawks focusing their attentions on just 20-30 people?

I don't think the Red Sea resorts could get cheap enough to make up for that.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Not as bad as being hustled on the phone every day by bank's Small Business Advisers (salesmen) and Wealth Managers (salesmen)!

·
Instructor at Werner Lau Tek, Sharm
708 Posts
I remember how bad it was walking around Naama bay and Sharm, where 1000's of tourists had the attentions of the street hawks hustling you. Now imagine all those street hawks focusing their attentions on just 20-30 people?
Actually the reverse might be true... I walked through town the other night and there was actually less hassle than usual. To be honest I don't normally notice the hawkers anyway, but there's alot fewer of everybody in Sharm at the moment.
The majority of Egyptian workers here actually live elsewhere in Egypt, usually big cities such as Cairo, Suez, Alex etc, the norm is to graft for 2-3 weeks and then go home for a week or so. A lot of the guys have headed home to be with their families.
Also, with business being drastically reduced a lot of shops, hotels etc have had to let staff go. Its too expensive to stay here unless you're making halfway decent money.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Tell them that you're now bankrupt. Their interest in you, if they think you have no money, will vanish faster than you can get another manufacturing delay on the Apoc :)

Not as bad as being hustled on the phone every day by bank's Small Business Advisers (salesmen) and Wealth Managers (salesmen)!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
booked for 10 of us to go on 6th March, to Hurghada, and very much looking forward to it, the dive centre operator has emailed me nearly every day, and even called yesterday to make sure we are still coming!
i feel a bit sorry for them, caught up in something that is happening elseware, nothing to do with them etc

bit like we were in foot and mouth!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
CDWS just sent out a "special issue" magazine instead of their usual propaganda bulletin containing special offers etc so looks like they're trying to get people there. Might be worth looking in that for anyone considering a trip.

The link is here

Odd though, no mention of their funds being frozen subject to investigation (corruption one would guess knowing the agency), all last years cards being extended instead for now, all dive centre licences from last year extended until at least May and the exam and application procedure for new cards suspended :)

·
Sews all his PADI patches on to his banana hammock
586 Posts
After Doozer's post the other day saying the same thing, I've booked a trip out in March with a friend. I had no itention of going out until he mentioned how empty it was, plus the price has dropped! A week inc of flights B&B and four days diving for £377! Bargain! See you soon Jim!

·
Going, Going .....
666 Posts
After Doozer's post the other day saying the same thing, I've booked a trip out in March with a friend. I had no itention of going out until he mentioned how empty it was, plus the price has dropped! A week inc of flights B&B and four days diving for £377! Bargain! See you soon Jim!
the other side of the coin of course, is those of us who booked early and are now seeing the same holidays advertised for half the price :angry: and there's still 6 weeks to go which means it will probably be discounted even more :angry::angry:

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
the other side of the coin of course, is those of us who booked early and are now seeing the same holidays advertised for half the price :angry: and there's still 6 weeks to go which means it will probably be discounted even more :angry::angry:
Cancel it and re book it fella I know lost 400 deposit but saved 650 on the same holiday

·
Going, Going .....
666 Posts
Cancel it and re book it fella I know lost 400 deposit but saved 650 on the same holiday
Hadn't considered that. It's all paid for so I wouldn't have thought I would get anything back, especially such a short time before we go.
Time for some small print reading!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
His has gone down even more now! He initially paid 3200 for him, missus and 2 18 yr olds in April school holidays. He cancelled and re booked and got it for 2500ish and was happy saving 250. It is now 2188. Even if you lose your deposit on that he would be up 600, diving paid for and a new handbag for the wife.

·
The DSMB means PUT THE KETTLE ON !!
201 Posts
being cheeky, has anyone got some good links to the deals, sounds like an ideal time to toddle out in the next 6-8 weeks ??

·
Sews all his PADI patches on to his banana hammock
586 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts