YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello all

I have got a Suunto Companion computer that seems to have gone a bit pear-shaped. It just says "L06" on the front display and won't do anything else.

I bought it second-hand so I don't have the instruction book

Can anyone shed any light on this? (I presume it is an error message)

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>you can download suunto manuals from their website

companion manual

That screen sounds like the 'Log' mode of my Suunto (the 'G' takes a bit of licence, it's more like a mirror image of a 6).  

To return to normal operation on mine - and it looks the same for the companion in the manual - touch all 3 contacts at once (may need to wet fingers, and if the contacts are mucky first clean them with a pencil eraser).

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

If you take it diving then all Suuntos go into diving mode when they reach 1.6m (I think that's the depth). If that does not get it out of log mode (or whatever it is stuck in) then remove the battery and leave overnight.

If you do take it diving, take a main computer or dive tables - obviously.:p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NeilB @ Mar. 14 2004,04:28)]If you take it diving then all Suuntos go into diving mode when they reach 1.6m (I think that's the depth). If that does not get it out of log mode (or whatever it is stuck in) then remove the battery and leave overnight.

If you do take it diving, take a main computer or dive tables - obviously.:p
Thanks for the tips guys. I have recently changed the battery so it is a possibility it is a problem.

I shall also take it to the pool next week to test the 1.6m theory and also the kind technician in work is going to look at it too!!!!!

Hopefully there will be good news soon!! (I have just bought a new reg and can't stretch to a new computer too!!!)

I am of course diving with a watch and a depth gauge so no worries there.

·
"He's not a man, he's a dolphin"
494 Posts
NeilB said:
then remove the battery and leave overnight.
I have heard that this is not a good idea as the early Suuntos use volatile RAM which retains vital information. Leaving the battery out loses this info and the computer locks up when power is restored. Even a seemingly flat battery will have enough power to supply the RAM.

I have no idea if you can reset a Suunto if this happens. Of course, this may not be the case here, but worth knowing all the same. :thumbsup:

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Having delt with sunto before.
If you have any Sunto computer that is not working. Contact Sunto and send it in for "repair" odds are that if it's an obsolete model, they'll tell you it's beyond repair and offer you a "very good" trade in price on another computer.

HTH
Simon A

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did it!
I tried a lot of things and finally succeeded.

You will need two batteries and some wiring. Battery #1 is the new one you are going to place on the computer. Battery #2 doesn´t have to be new but must be able to power the computer. It will be disposed of after the procedure.

1. Solder some wires to positive and negative on the computer poles and have them ready to connect to Battery #2 (I soldered the negative to the battery, so it would be easy just to hold the positive when needed later)
2. Connect some gator wire to the positive and negative
2. Connect the positive gator to battery #1
3. Tap with the other gator wire (negative) very rapidly (more than 5 times per second) and several times (around 20 or 30 times). This is the secret!
4. Turn on the computer as usual, and it will no longer show the "LOG" lock mode !!!
5. If it doesn´t work the first time, try again. (It took me 3 days of tryouts to succeed with the procedure)
6. Now connect Battery #2. At this time, you will have two batteries connected in parallel. Don´t worry, It won't hurt the companion. The computer has to be still working on normal mode at this stage.
7. Disconnect both gator wires from the computer and from battery #1. Because you have Battery #2 feeding the computer, it must remain powered and on normal mode (not locked on LOG). If you can´t manage to maintain the computer powered, it will return to LOG lock mode, and you will have to start tapping again (this can be frustrating, that is why I decided to solder thin cables and manage to maintain the computer powered very firmly during the procedure).
8. While the computer is in normal mode, and powered by Battery #2 (through the thin wires, one soldered to the negative pole), insert the Battery #1 into its normal and intended place into the companion battery hatch.
9. Cut the thin wires soldered to the poles on the computer (cut very close to the soldered point, so you won´t have any wires remaining).
10. Check that the computer remains on, and on normal mode
11. Close the battery hatch (don´t forget the clean and lubed o-ring)
12. Place the cover screws back (tight fit, not too hard).
Done!

I just did it today, I haven´t tried it on an actual dive. The temperature may be reading not well. I will take it with me the next dive, and compare it with another computer to confirm that it is working fine, before regaining trust in it.

Hand Finger Measuring instrument Gadget Service

1 - 8 of 8 Posts