YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi all,
 has anyone tried to move a suunto sk7 compass from the console housing to a wrist mount or vice-versa?  or even from the double mount to an inline mount.

i have the double console mount (on the back of the spg) but find it awkward to use in this position so i want to move it to my wrist.  instead of buying a new compass i thought i'd see if i could just get a wrist mounting and move the actual compass bit.

however, i can't see how the compass comes out of the mounting.  it seems to be held in place by a retainer clip from underneath and the bezel from above.  the bezl doesn't want to come off at all and i can't see how to unclip the retainer to push the main bit out the top.

also, if anyone knows where i could buy the wrist housing on its own (sans compass) that'd be great.

thanks.

hideo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

I don't know where you can get the wrist mounting on its own,
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hideo @ June 27 2003,12:19)]however, i can't see how the compass comes out of the mounting.  it seems to be held in place by a retainer clip from underneath and the bezel from above.  the bezl doesn't want to come off at all and i can't see how to unclip the retainer to push the main bit out the top.
but I was bored so I took mine apart to see how it was done.http://www.rasilon.net/photos/breaking_a_suunto/ are some photos I took whist doing so.

The first photo shows a slot type of thing, the appliance of a suitable screwdriver to this slot resulted in photo 2, at which point most of the workings came out easily by pulling.  Photo 3 shows the two clippy things that hold the bezel in, which comes out easily, resulting in photo 4.  In order to get it back together, just reverse the steps you took to get it apart, taking care of the locating lug in the clear compass bit itself (it's at one end of the red line, and makes sure that it points in the right direction).  The appropriate appliance of violence gets all the clips back in.  Bear in mind that the inappropriate appliance of violence could well bust it irrepairably so be careful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rasilon @ June 29 2003,18:02)]but I was bored so I took mine apart to see how it was done.http://www.rasilon.net/photos/breaking_a_suunto/ are some photos I took whist doing so.
thanks railson.  unfortunately it seems that i'll be out of luck in finding a housing so it's academic.  oh well.

btw for the computer type people amongst you, opera's new "fast forward" feature is great for viewing directories of pictures. no more click-back-click, just click-ffw-ffw. (only mention it 'cause i just discovered it going through railson's piccies)

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can get the housings easily, your LDS can order them off Suunto, both for the modular units and the wrists mounted parts.

Tim

·
Registered
511 Posts
tiewrapdiver said:
You can get the housings easily, your LDS can order them off Suunto, both for the modular units and the wrists mounted parts.

Tim
Spot on you can.

Hido I think i might still have one. bust the compass but think i kept the housing If i can find it its yours!!

will pm

Cheers.

Paul.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts