YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I'm looking for a Dive computer that's isn't too expensive, and I've seen one on Deep Blue's online shop for £169. It's a Suunto Gekko. Does anyone know anyone that has one? Also, there's no battery light, only luminescence when you shine the torch on first. Do you think that will be a pain in the arse? Also, do you think I'll get a better deal at the dive show or is online cheaper.... oh, what's a girl to do!!!

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Hi,

Guys from my club got the Aladin pro ultra for £179 from Kent Diving at the dive show.

Backlit, nitrox etc

Juz

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Cool, thanks Juz, I'll look that model up on the internet and have a look, but I think I might wait for the dive show. Any other good deals you've heard about recently are greatly welcome......

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I'd think about the Vyper rather than the gekko (which seems to be a cut-down vyper). Go Dive do the vyper for £199 (and the Gekko for £149 - http://www.godive-uk.com/ )

There are also some pretty good deals about on the Mares M1 (£150ish) but these seem to be for the original rather than the RGBM model.

Diver did a comparison test of about 10 computers a month or two ago, including the Gekko, so check the divernet equipment pages for the reviews.

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks Tom, so do you think I'll get a better deal on the net as opposed to the dive show?
I've got to get everything (BC, 5mm wetsuit, fins, torch, computer, regs), so would it be better to try and get the whole lot at one place and ask for a massive discount, or shop around on the net and at the show?
Sorry, only ever rented equipment before, so a bit green....

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I'd agree with Tom.

The Vyper is a proven unit, Suunto's customer service is very good and in comparison to the Gekko it's worth an extra 50 quid.

They pop up second hand (folk upgrading to Vytecs and VR3s)but if you can wait til LIDS then you should be able to get a deal on one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well then Vyper it is chaps.... thank you. At least it's taken my attention away from "Celebrity Come Dancing" for gawd's sake.... Gavin, you'll sympathise being a ex-beeb boy. How do they come up with these programmes? Think of the worst possible programme and chuck money at it....

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sue @ Jan. 19 2004,16:58)]Thanks Tom, so do you think I'll get a better deal on the net as opposed to the dive show?
I've got to get everything (BC, 5mm wetsuit, fins, torch, computer, regs), so would it be better to try and get the whole lot at one place and ask for a massive discount, or shop around on the net and at the show?
Sorry, only ever rented equipment before, so a bit green....
Sue,

You might get a pretty good deal if you buy everything at one store.  But it is only a good deal if everything is exactly what you want.

Your best bet is to make a list of exactly what makes and models you are after and then see if what is on offer.  If you buy everything at one place you could be fobbed off with a compromise on what looks to be a good deal.

I was playing the same game at the NEC dive show with a mate who was after everything.  In the end we managed to get the majority of what he was after at one store with a few exceptions at another.

The dive shows are very much supply and demand,  If the stores have a big rush on certain items and are confident they can sell all their stock of said item they will not discount much.  The Suunto computers were very popular at the NEC dive show and I reckon internet prices were probably comparable by the Sunday.

Finally have you considered getting a shopping list and price list based on internet suppliers and seeing what your local dive store can offer in the way of price matching.  I would be willing to pay a small premium over internet prices for good local service.

Daz

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>just a quick note on the gekko and the vyper....

i don't own either of them, so you'd have to check it out, but i'd make sure that you actually want the extra features the vyper provides. from what i've heard, the only things the vyper does that the gekko doesn't are:

PC interface - yes a good thing, but not if you don't use it

simulation features - ditto

just a thought, k

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Daz good point. I went to a dive shop recently to ask about getting the whole lot, but there wasn't much choice and it was expensive. I need to do some digging round to find a good dive shop in London.

There's Ocean leisure, but I've heard that's a bit expensive, so if any Londoners out there can point me in the right direction.....? (Don't say North)

Oh, and what's PC interfacing? Told you I'm green....

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sue @ Jan. 19 2004,17:37)]Daz good point. I went to a dive shop recently to ask about getting the whole lot, but there wasn't much choice and it was expensive. I need to do some digging round to find a good dive shop in London.

There's Ocean leisure, but I've heard that's a bit expensive, so if any Londoners out there can point me in the right direction.....? (Don't say North)
Agreed does not always work, out even if you give them a straight "Can you come anywhere close to this price or shall I bugger off now and buy it elsewhere"  

Certain items I would buy over the internet without quibble (Well actually I would probably buy virtually any of my kit over the internet!)  but if you are not happy making the occasional adjustment to a set of regs for example this is one of those items that can be false economy to buy over the internet.  If only for the reason that if it starts playing up slightly many local dive stores will adjust it FOC if it was bought from them.

Bottom line, if they  want the custom they will make the effort and where possible try to pick a LDS that has a good recommendation.

Daz

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sue @ Jan. 19 2004,17:37)]Daz good point. I went to a dive shop recently to ask about getting the whole lot, but there wasn't much choice and it was expensive. I need to do some digging round to find a good dive shop in London.

Oh, and what's PC interfacing? Told you I'm green....
Can you get out to Dartford? Kent Diving (who are also one of the best priced Internet retailers) have a pretty good selection out there.

Other places I go:

Mike's waterfront warehouse out at chiswick
Fish in the city near liverpool street
Ocean leisure have a good stock of books, but apart from that I've found them pretty pricey & limited in what they stock.
69 Diving in Ewell - not bad but not exactly in London.

All of these have websites so you can search for where they are etc.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Imported post

Another vote for Kent Diving from me, although they're quite out the way and you'll need access to a car to lug everything back with.

Do you have any idea about the other equipment that you want? Dominic who often posts here has an equipment guide on his website that may be of use in deciding what other things you want to go for. I'm sure he'll be along soon to post the correct link.

ta

Andy

PS - PC Interfacing is when you plug your dive computer into your laptop/PC and can then download and save all your dive profiles. Good for people like me who are too lazy to fill out dive log books....  

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks Andy. No, not sure about other equipment yet, that's why I'm on here. Dr Steve told me that the Buddy BC is the best to go for because it's bullet proof, but not sure about regs, torch, fins etc. If Dominic doesn't see this, would you put his web link up?
Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Imported post

Dr Steve is right, the Buddy Range of equiment is bullet proof, I dove with Buddy jacket for a couple of years and still use one their wings.

However, I have heard more than one female diver complain that they're not particularly 'shaply' in the 'chest' area and that there are BC's out there which are designed with the lady diver much more in mind (Am I right in thinking the Seaquest Diva??).

Bearing the above in mind, I would ask around and  try any BC out in a good pool session before buying.
ta

Andy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Sue
a bit of blatant advertising here - I have a 12l 232 tank recently tested (hydro) for sale if you are interested, its on the personal ads page (hydro cos it had just gone out of test, long story, bought it in 2001 and didnt notice it was out of test - neither did several filling stns.)
I live nr St.Albans

Suunto computers are brill - so I'd use one of those, make sure you get one with nitrox capability, you WILL need it even if you dont think you will now. BC - what about a wing? Future proofing - Buddy do wings that are not too expensive in relationship to others.

Matt
ps Mikes in London Colney (St.Albans) are pretty good on price and service, usually.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Vypers were £179 at the dive show and I can't recommend them enough. The only thing I've found I don't like about it is the warning peeps aren't as loud as the Aladin. Suppose the obvious answer is don't get any warning peeps!

Peter

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Jan. 19 2004,19:06)]make sure you get one with nitrox capability, you WILL need it even if you dont think you will now.
<font color='#000080'>this is the mistake i made  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Sue, I saw a Vyper going for £159 at the LDS last year but unless you going any way the parking entrance fee and what ever will add up to more than the £20 you save for not going to Go Dive or Kent Diveing.

Definatly get the Viper instead of the Gecko. The computer intaface alowes you to down load your dives into a log and look at graphes of your dive profiles which is both fun and educational. You will have to spend mony on the iterface but if you intend on diving regularly its a good investment.

A back light is also VERY handy in merky UK conditions.

ATB

M Chase

1 - 20 of 37 Posts