YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

OK folks,
          After much deliberating I've decided to get a Vyper. If I ask for recommendations of where to get one from I'll just get bombarded with loads of places. So I ask you, the shop that you would recommend, how much do they want for one?

Peter

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

£199 from Go Dive in Derby is the cheapest I've see them Peter, not sure if you could get it any cheaper at the dive show..

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Ian

£199 is what i paid at Kent Diving as well, last year just after LIDS. Great 'Puter, good choice.
Kent Diving

Dive Safe

Paul

PS Divebag are ment to show the cheapest, but they are not quite there.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Peter,

Two things,

a) sorry I have not replied to your PM, I have been meaning to, honest.
b) it really is worth it to try and go the extra mile and get the Vytec, it allows for gas switching, doesn't seem like much now, but I got a Vyper and ended up with a Vytec 1 year later, anoying and a complete waste of money.

The Vytec will do all types of diving, bar Trimix and even then it has a gauge mode with a stopwatch which is a fantastic option for deco stops. It has proven to be an invaluable tool for me. I still use it even though I now have a VR3, and will continue to do so. The Vyper on the other hand, whist a great computer, has now been sold for a considerable loss.

The three shops to try (cos they are always the cheepest) Go Dive, Denny Diving and SDS Watersports. SDS will respond to "oh, the other shop will do it for £XXX"

Take care,

Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Imported post

I managed to con Nautilus (Collins and Chambers) out of a Vyper for £165 this time last year, with the old chestnut "I've seen it for that price somewhere else blah blah".  Who says you can't teach a new dog old tricks? :)  

cheers

R

·
Fair weather diver
131 Posts
Imported post

They were around £160 at the dive show two years ago.  Sounds like a good investment

Suunto prices seem to go up and down all the time

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Peter - I got mine at last year's Brum dive show for £185.  I can't for the life of me recall which stand it was but am sure that'll be the best place to get a good deal if you cna make it.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I paid £250 at the LIDS dive show for a Vitec with the computer interface and softwhere pac two years ago. I bunched it in with my M8 who baught an Apex 200 reg set with presure and contentce gauge at the same time.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

Thanks Guys'n'Dolls,
                        I'm now the owner of a shiny new Vyper. I couldn't wait for the dive show as I'm in Mull that weekend and need it for then. It was £209.

Simon-That's a Danish company and my shop wouldn't price match it, so they matched Go-Dives £199 + the £10 P'n'p.

Mark/Andy- appreciate what you're saying but funds just won't let me go that "extra mile". And I don't need all the software or transmitter crap, just something I can strap onto my wrist that won't bend me(hopefully)

Thanks to the rest of you anyway for trying

Peter

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Fair enough M8

Its not the transmitter we recomend them for

Neither Andrew or I have ever used the transmiter and that costs a shed load more money any way. The thing we love is the multiple gas settings which alowwes in the water gas switching for accelorated deco using high 02 nitrox filled stages.

Oh yes and the stop watch is fantastic for table dives.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 12 of 12 Posts