YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How much life does the battery in a Vytec have left in it when it first gives you the low battery warning?

Should i replace it straight away or will i get away with a couple of short, shallow dives at the weekend?

Cheers,

J.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
For the sake of a couple of quid and and hour messing about i'd change it or get in changed in your LDS they did my mates while he waited the other week not sure of the price though.

·
aka Narco Nick
272 Posts
Cold

Mine gives a low batt warning if I leave in my dive bag in the cold. Once it warms up it is OK.

BTW I am getting battery kit, WITH 'O' RING, before the weekend.

Dead easy to change.
Take the strap off.
Rotate the cover on the battery compartment .
Check it is all clean and dry in the battery compartment
Replace the battery, right way up.
Replace the o ring, regardless of what state it is in.
Close cover and lock
Replace strap
Take it for a pootle dive
If it floods all is not lost.
The battery compartment is separate from the main computer.

Regards
Nick

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would change the battery as soon as possible and even go as far as not to dive without changing it.

The battery and 'O' ring are pennies in the overall scheme of things - I think mine came to £12 and I changed it myself in 20 minutes. If your not sure about changing the battery youself, get your LDS to do it for you.

Safe Diving
SteveM

·
Evil! Like Black Play Doh
348 Posts
Asda, Asda ...

Yep, they are dead easy to change, if you follow the instructions in the manual.

I think I bought the last battery from Asda, I think it's a 2323.

You should really change the o ring as well as these tend to compress overtime. If you aren't sort of mechanically minded, I would pop in to the LDS, & get them to change it.

I wouldn't dive it with the low batt showing, as when this gets in cold water the battery life nose dives, so to speak.

·
aka Narco Nick
272 Posts
Yep, they are dead easy to change, if you follow the instructions in the manual.

I think I bought the last battery from Asda, I think it's a 2323.

You should really change the o ring as well as these tend to compress overtime. If you aren't sort of mechanically minded, I would pop in to the LDS, & get them to change it.

I wouldn't dive it with the low batt showing, as when this gets in cold water the battery life nose dives, so to speak.
That would be why my vyper rebooted. It was 6°C at the time.

Regards
Nick

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
Hi,

How much life does the battery in a Vytec have left in it when it first gives you the low battery warning?

Should i replace it straight away or will i get away with a couple of short, shallow dives at the weekend?

Cheers,

J.
I would think you will get a good couple of dives off it, but I would change it as soon as is practicable. I bought battery and o-ring off e-bay and changed it no problems (did a number of dives on low battery first - can't remember exactly how many, but more than 5).

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Batteries are CR2450 3V available from Maplins for £1.99 My unit is four years old and has been past 50m hundreds of times and past 100 once or twice. I still used the same 0ring. Just siliconed it up and poped it back in.

ATB

Mark Chase

Reactions: 63322

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers for the input. trip to maplins and 2 minutes work and the jobs done. see if its really done on Saturday!

J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts