YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

With a Suunto Vytec set for two mixes for example, and planning to do an accelerated decompression stop, does anyone know if it's possible to change mixes back to the weaker mix in the event of a kit failure (or has anyone tried it)?

Robert

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

I've tried it many times and it definitely works. As long as you stay within your preset ppO2 limit you can change from any mix to any other as many times as you want.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I can cofirm the above statement, You can switch at any time to any mix as long as the PP02 is at or below 1.6. Only down side is the unit will beep at first then the 02 percentage will keep flashing throughout the rest of the dive to prompt you to switch to the richer mix if you are in the zone for said rich mix.

The computer will automaticly re calculate your deco profile so you can get a shock when you go back to back gas and find you suddenly have a huge deco comitment IE 20mins at 6 on 85% equates to about 60mins on back gas  

Its a great bit of kit and its nice to know that what ever hapens to the dive profile or gas profile the Vitec will offer me a way home or at least let me know exactly how deep the s8it is.  

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks all, must get around to trying it sometime.
Maybe this weekend in Lyme Regis...

Robert

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Oh yes I forgot to mention:

If you are planning a 1.6 ppo2 gas switch:

1, Make sure you set the dive limit on the computer to 1.6 for deco gas

2, Make sure you are slightly above the stop depth before doing the gas switch on the computer.

I say this as yesterday I got to my 9.0m stop with my 84% mix switch. (slightly off fill) and the damed computer wouldent switch. I was pushing and pushing the button and nouthing hapened. I was about to bail out to tables when I realised I had sliped back to 9.5m and the ppo2 was over 1.6 and it wouldent alow me to gas switch.

Its very easy done when you atention is not focused on the depth gauge bit.

By the by Andrew was on DD planner and went off tables using a 10/80 gradient factor to get the 30m stop and we cleared our stops within a min of each other.

Have fun

Mark Chase

1 - 5 of 5 Posts