YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,
As per the title, anyone fancy going to Swanage pier for a couple of dives?

I've never been but have heard it's nice and easy.

I'm doing my TDI Basic Nitrox on the 22nd so I'm hoping to use that for the first time too. Anyone know for certain if the shop there does Nitrox fills?

Cheers,
Paul

Oh, I'm PADI AOW, ~25 dives, about half UK.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Imported post

The shop does do nitrox when they can.

Several times last year I was told that the guy was not around. I see him on a rib so guess he was teaching.

I had to drive to Pool to get a nitrox fill. Other wise my booked dives would have be messed up.

Next time I go there Im going to make sure i have several cylinders and dont have to use that shop again. Been let down once to often

Just be warned not to expect it!!!!!

Apart from that the pier is ok. Im still trying to find a bottle on the Kyarra that has not been smashed.  

Enjoy yourself its good

Jamie

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Hi paul,
how are you? when were you thinking of going, how about on a tuesday? I have the a couple of odd days midweek in the next few weeks. and what sort of dives are you looking for, just a bimble under the pier or a deeper couple? It has to be better viz than the Binnendyk!!!

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul,

I'd be up for either the 28th or 29th.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Jamie,
Cheers for the info about the shop. I'll bear that in mind.

John,
Weekends only for me I'm afraid. Damn job
How are you doing anyway? Replaced your weights yet?  

Tom,
As above it's weekends only for me so 28th sounds good. I think that's the weekend of LIDS which I'm probably going to so I'll just make sure I go on saturday. Ahh, just noticed you could mean 28/29th of feb in which case either is fine for me.

Re: types of dives. I'm happy with easy dives under the pier but if it's possible to go deeper without too much hassle then that's fine too. If I do get to give nitrox a go it'd be nice to get a reasonable benefit over air I guess

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I meant 28/29 of feb.

What about Saturday 28th feb - does that work for you?

Sunday would be fine as well - I'm allowed out both days that weekend...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Does that mean you're OK with going one of the two days or you want to go both days? If so I'm up for that.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I'm up for diving both days.

Not sure about doing the pier on two consecutive days though, especially as it's a bit of a hike - maybe Swanage one day and somewhere else the other day? Poss freshwater to rinse the gear off on the sunday

I'd be up for just about anything within a couple of hours drive though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Yes, good idea. If we plan for Swanage on Sat then if the weathere's bad (I'm assuming it's possible to be too rough to dive around the pier) we've still got Sunday as a backup.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like a plan is coming together - where do you fancy for Sunday?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Only places I know around me are Stoney, Gildenburgh and Wrasysbury. Is there anywhere further south nearer you?

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Bogle @ Feb. 16 2004,15:07)]Only places I know around me are Stoney, Gildenburgh and Wrasysbury. Is there anywhere further south nearer you?
Nowhere I know of that's really worth making an effort to get to.

Stoney would be the obvious choice, but that would be two weekends on the trot. What's Gildenburgh like?

Wouldn't mind a sea dive on Sunday as well if it's feasible though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Another sea dive is fine with me if you know somewhere.

My only requirement is being able to hire a cylinder.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Guys
what about the place on the South coast that is owned by the Navy, not very deep but salt water, used to test torpedos there. Cant remember the name, I'll see if I can search for it. They have dive schols etc there so Paul you might be able to hire a cylinder, dunno if it would be a Nitrox one though.

Matt

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Horsea Island.  (Or Horny Island, as someone i know calls it!)

Lots of cool Jellyfish there!

dan.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Horsea was in my 'not really worth making the effort to get to category'

They do cylinder hire, but not nitrox, and they don't have clean air - not an issue for me, but if Paul wants to dive nitrox...

I had a quick browse over some Gildenburgh web pages last night, and for some strange reason I actually quite fancy it. They do cylinder hire I think. As mentioned before, it might be a good idea to have a dive planned 'in the bank' as it were that can't be blown out.

How about this for a plan:

Saturday 28th Feb - Swanage pier. If weather conditions are crap (i.e. ring the dive shop the day before to ask what viz is like) then abort to Horsea instead, just to get salty and see some jellyfish.

Sunday 29th Feb - Gildenburgh. Guaranteed dive, and rinses off the kit.

Preferably a civilised start time both days (i.e. looking to get to the site about 11 o'clockish).

How does that sound?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Sounds fine with me. I've dived Gildenburgh before - it's OK if you like bricks
Seriously, it's actually OK - lots of stuff sunk and a few fish around.

Pretty sure they hire tanks no problem although I've never had to from there so we'll see

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Sorted then. Is it just the two of us or does anyone else fancy coming along?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>hiya

I may be interested in coming along to see what Gildenburgh is like.  What time are you meeting?

hope thats Ok

Carolyn

1 - 20 of 46 Posts