YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Right, about a thousand of you must have done this dive, so can I please pick your collective brains?

I've found a few bits and pieces about this on the web and have a basic idea of what it's all about. The two things I haven't been able to find out are:

1) Is it tide dependent? If it needs to be dived at slack, what time is that relative to high water at portland (or wherever)?

2) Any particular weather conditions that influence diveability / viz? (not sure how sheltered or otherwise it is).

Any other tips v. much appreciated as well.

Oh yeah, i'm hoping to get down there sometime soonish so if anyone wants to get together for a bit of fish-prodding...

Cheers,
Tom

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Dan - will do that.

Any other tips people have are still more than welcome though - it'll be useful to have info here on the board so that people can search for it in future.

Tom

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Tom,

Here's a few articles.

In answer to your questions:

1) From Divernet: "With a tidal range of only 2m between high and low spring tides, the pier is diveable at most stages of the tide."

2) Also from Divernet: "Visibility is usually around 3 to 5m, which is quite acceptable for photographic purposes. A pre-visit phone call to the pier dive shop is always worthwhile and the staff will willingly nip out and check the viz over the handrails. I always call to check the local inshore forecast. The wind that kills viz within a few hours is any sort of easterly."

http://www.divernet.com/travel/piers1199.htm

http://www.divernet.com/photog/pier498.htm

http://www.divernet.com/travel/1201winter2.htm

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/BMLSS/swanage.htm

http://www.swanagepiertrust.com/

Give the old pier a try as well (it's just off to the right of the restored pier), there was plenty of fishlife there when I went last year, although it is a bit more tricky to stay within the legs.

I might be interested in coming along - let us know when you're going.

dan.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Best dived at "high" water - maximum depth I've ever got is 7m

fantastic dive though

fee

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Tom

Seadart Divers operate out of Swanage and have part of there website devoted to diving in and around Swanage.
Check out the site   www.seadart.net
If you navigate through the menu bar you will find the heading Swanage.
There’s charter boats/local wreck sites/street maps etc.

The local weather phone number is 09068 500 457 gives you up to 5 days and is quite accurate.
I use it a lot.

It’s a premium pay number but once you learn how to navigate through the options it is relatively cheep.

Only wind direction to steer clear of is anything with East in it.
As Dan said you could always phone the Dive school and they will tell you what he viz is like.

HTH
Cheers
Bob

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Thanks people- just the job. Look out for the 'buddy wanted' posting in the very near future!

Tom

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Tom
give me a PM or similar when you fancy a dip off the pier as I'm up for it too, love the area, can be done in one day from our location. There is a car park on the pier and one further up the hill, neither is too much of a trek.

Matt

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

I'd like to do this too, but can't make week days either.

I could make the 31st....

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

I'll probably be putting up a 'planned trip' thingy tomorrow for the 30th.

Tom

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Tom
going on from what you wrote on the Stoney trip what are we doing about first aid/oxygen etc, does the shop on the Pier have that to hand. I'm first aid at work trained although not Padi Rescue (yet?). I know its only a shallow bimble but you got me thinking that we have cover at Stoney but not on this one. Probably wouldnt cause me to cancel out, just wondering.

Any thoughts?
Matt

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

I've just emailed them to find out.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Imported post

Seeing as you say you are doing the pier nitrox will probably not be used.

Just for info reasons last year I did the kyarra severa times and on severa occasions the nitrox filler was away so i had to got pool to get the bloody thing filled!

just my 2ps worth

apart from that the pier is a ok dive.

Jamie

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Jamie
thanks for that I'll be taking 2 12's of air, hardly seems worth nitrox as you say. I doubt if I'll need a fill.

Matt

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Bit of an update, looks like a slipped disc so anybody got a a pair of 7's for sale.  

Seriously, cant let a small thing like a slipped disc get in the way of diving, so if anyone knows of 7's (232) I can strap to my wing I'm interested.
If not I'll have to buy new, glad my birthday is coming soon.
Matt

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

Since my last attempt at organising a trip to the pier seems to have crashed and burned, anyone interested in trying it the 28th/29th of february? Weekend after the Stoney gig.

Incidentally, the answer to the question above about whether the dive shop has an 02 kit is 'Yes'.

Anyone who's interested say so, and if anyone is maybe we can get something organised...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>tom,
     swanage pier is a hive of activity most w/ends, divers from miles around, plenty to see, fills available onsite, only prob (?) is depth only 4metres even at the top of the tide,
and if the wind is in the east the whole bay is like green pea soup. lots of wrecks in range, from a 50ft trawler in 14m max
to the mid channel wrecks including kyarra, aeolian sky, aparima, forth fisher, carentan, and many more! give me an e:mail for specifics,
                         mike marsh.

"the road goes on forever and the party never ends"  

1 - 20 of 22 Posts