YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm booked on this tomorrow. Looks like cracking weather and a nice little dive. Nice big hardboat with a lift. I'm bringing doughnuts:)

Needs 2 more people to go out though, so if anyone fancies it give Bryan a ring or book online - Swanage Boat Charters - Welcome!

Cheers

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Can't do tomorrow but this is one wreck that I'd like to get back to - I dived it ages ago and it was a great wreck, covered with mines!

As a side note is might not be actually the Ajax - but I can't remember the details. I'll have to have a look this evening.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You mean tomorrow's trip might not go ahead? :( Come on people! There must be two of you out there who want to join us for a cracking dive in lovely weather.

Otherwise I might cry, and no one wants to see that!

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Sun's out - lovely here!! Roll up. Now if only I could get off work with the missus.... Seriously - it's the best day we've had in ages.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, someone better sign up of they will have crying Steph on their conscience:)

Actually, I might cry too as the weather looks fab and the last dive I tried to do the sea got a bit 'epic' and we had to come home!

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Can you do the following week? Trying to sort something for Monday/Tuesday and the tides are rather good.
Diving Alderney 7th-9th followed by Mr Powells wreck week 10th-14th, so that puts out those days.
Also I've got dives planned for the 23rd and 28th ;)

After that little lot I think my bank account will be somewhat empty for the rest of the month.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Okay, a little info that I managed to dig out over lunch:

Ajax
Dutch steamship
Built 1923
Lost 08/008/1940 - bombed by German aircraft
travelling in ballast
Position 050°30.497'N, 001°32.643'W
Identified by bell​

Eleanor
British steamship
Built 1888
Lost 12/02/1918 - torpedoed by UB57
Cargo 1500+ mines of assorted types
Position 050°30.110'N, 001°40.350'W​

So if it's the same one that I dived back in 2006 then it is most likely the Eleanor.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I whack one of these mines with me 'spidge 'ammer' then I'll be back on the boat before everyone else? :)

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I assume that as they were cargo, they were not armed :D The fact that there hasn't been a report of a very loud bang going off when skippers have dropped a shot on them would suggest that you should be okay ... note "should be" ... give it a try and report back ;)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From blackadder:

G: "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do ?"
EB: "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts