YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't post on here very often because I never feel I have very much I can add to a discussion but can I come out of hiding to say those photos are brilliant? ( Tompots are one of my favorites, I love searching for them and showing people their cheeky little faces poking out of a crack)

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Lovely! Can't believe you found some more eggs too - I'll have to look harder next time I see a Tompot.

You gotta love those hair-dos :D Such gormless creatures, but very entertaining.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
There were loads about at Babbacombe yesterday, couldn't get them to sit still for a photo though, Swanage ones must be more diver friendly.

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
There were loads about at Babbacombe yesterday, couldn't get them to sit still for a photo though, Swanage ones must be more diver friendly.
I've noticed that some Tompots are 'tamer' than others. The ones in the boiler holes on the Glen Strathallen will happily pose for hours, but the ones at Devils Point are a bit twitchier. They probably see fewer divers, though.

·
Nauticam UK
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These ones have set up residence in the pipes and are quite approachable if you move very slowly and at an angle low in the water.

You might find this silly but I also find that singing to them helps because they seem to get transfixed and look at you curiously. Then you get the real character out of them in the shots. These were taken with the 60mm macro so I was not more than three inches way from them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts