YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Dunno about Swanage itself but there was a hell of a plankton bloom at Weymouth a fortnight ago reducing viz to about 1m. This may have cleared but we have also had a bit of rain today which will no doubt affect it.

·
beyond a mid-life crises into complete insanity!
1,394 Posts
Absolutely dreadful last weekend

My dive on Sunday was canned because of it

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
on Friday afternoon vis was about 18 inches
And about the same on Saturday. Sunday was, by all accounts, a little better. I didn't dive on Sunday, but some others did a dive on the wall rather than a wreck and had a nice dive. Viz was better, but some of that will be because they were at around 12-15m rather than 25, so they has light crap viz rather than dark crap viz.

If it changes, i am sure Resting Rifleman will let us know :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well although I have already replied on this thread I'll give you a little clue as to my take on the current Vis arounf Poole, Swanage etcat the moment.

I went out last Friday afternoon and (for a variety of reasons) had all of 5 minutes in the water. I skipped a club dive in the evening although I had already paid for it. Several people in my club described it as the worst dive they have ever had.

There is a club dive on the Kyarra this evening. Again I have already paid for it. I'll be putting me feet up & watching the telly.

I've seen some really crap vis in this area, but at the moment it really is the worst I have ever seen :frown:

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts
Weekend before last an the Kyarra about 2m BUT very very dark, made the vis feel much less. This was at mid day on a low water slack...

Drift across the bay much better about 3m reasonably light, saw large thornback ray, dover sole, large edible crabs, lobster etc etc.

Valantine tanks, a bit of light but vis was less than 1m

Hoping to be down this weekend, depending on some domestics to sort out...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well im glad to post that i managed to have a half enjoyable dive on the Kyarra this evening! As i was expecting about 5 inches i thougth thats what we were going to get as we descended down into the dark, but low and behold once down on the wreck the viz amanaged to improve and we got on average about 3-4M's, admitidly this may well of been down to the lovely huge neap tide we got but needless to say we did manage to see more than our hands in front of our faces. So all you guys down on the weekend if your lucky it might improve even further; but will say it was bloody dark down there so bring your light sabres with you and you should be fine!

Hope this helps.

Chris Middleton
aka student guy

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Well im glad to post that i managed to have a half enjoyable dive on the Kyarra this evening! As i was expecting about 5 inches i thougth thats what we were going to get as we descended down into the dark, but low and behold once down on the wreck the viz amanaged to improve and we got on average about 3-4M's, admitidly this may well of been down to the lovely huge neap tide we got but needless to say we did manage to see more than our hands in front of our faces. So all you guys down on the weekend if your lucky it might improve even further; but will say it was bloody dark down there so bring your light sabres with you and you should be fine!

Hope this helps.

Chris Middleton
aka student guy
Cheers Chris!

I'm off to Swanage in approximately 7 hours! Can't wait!!! :)

Si

1 - 15 of 15 Posts