YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Just in from Swanage lifeboat. A six mile drift dive!!!!!

Latest launch: Mersey on 31/05/03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 31/05/03 Launch time: 12:25 Recovery time: 14:10
Wind speed: 2 Wind direction: W Sea state: Smooth
Weather: Overcast Visibility: Foggy Casualty: Diver/Dive boat

Crew: M. Steeden (Coxn), R. Aggas, D. Turnbull, C. Marks, M. Kent, S. Williams, T. Ball
Details: Portland Coastguard requested the launch of Swanage's Mersey Class lifeboat - Robert Charles Brown to search for two missing divers. The divers had been on a drift dive but whilst they were under the water fog came in and their dive support boat was unable to locate them once they surfaced. The lifeboat launched and proceeded at full speed to start a search in the St Albans Head area. Visibility in the search area was now down to about 30 metres. Other vessels in the area responded to the call for assistance and they joined in the search now being co-ordinated by the lifeboat. The fishing vessel 'Agro' was anchored to the West of St Albans Head fishing when they thought they heard voices and whistling in the water. They recovered their anchor and carried out a search of the area in towards Chapmans Pool, about half an hour later they called the lifeboat to say that they had located the divers safe and well. The lifeboat turned and went to Agro's position to recover the divers. Best speed was then made back to Swanage where the divers were re-united with their boat a little cold but none the worse for their 6 mile drift.

A good reason for checking your whistle works.

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I was on Portalnd (not diving  
) on Saturday, and I watched the weather change across Chesil.

It went from bright sunshine, to around 50m viz in about 10 minutes... and that was from Fortuneswell, halfway up the island!

I can well believe how easy it would have been to get lost in the water...

abucksdiver

1 - 2 of 2 Posts