YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the connector for all LP inflators the same ?

I want to change the inflator on my tekwing as its (i) too long and (ii) non standard which is a PITA when switching regs if you forget to change the hose.

The corrugated tube on my buddy looks to be much bigger than other BCs so i assume the whole unit needs changing. If thats the case, can i just buy any brand inflator and simple screw it in on the elbow or wing and it'll work or is there more to it than that?

Also, where can i buy LP inflators - cant see any on ebay or various internet sites.

·
Not so new member
174 Posts
Is the connector for all LP inflators the same ?

I want to change the inflator on my tekwing as its (i) too long and (ii) non standard which is a PITA when switching regs if you forget to change the hose.

The corrugated tube on my buddy looks to be much bigger than other BCs so i assume the whole unit needs changing. If thats the case, can i just buy any brand inflator and simple screw it in on the elbow or wing and it'll work or is there more to it than that?

Also, where can i buy LP inflators - cant see any on ebay or various internet sites.
Buddy is weird as always but all the others are generally the same. There's a B**v*r one here; BCDs

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Different wing use different inflators and different length inflator hoses.

Some are designed to go over the shoulder (shorter) and some are designed to go under the arm (longer).

With most of them you should be able to shorten them if they are too long.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
The corrugated tube on my buddy looks to be much bigger than other BCs so i assume the whole unit needs changing.
I've got a buddy corrugated tube (same wing as yours) to work with both Halcyon and Diverite inflators - I think it would work with most. Just chop off as much as you need. Make sure the new inflator unit you get has a bit in it to tie the cord (inside the inflator tube) to. Attach tube to the new inflator with cable tie(s) not the buddy ring thing.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give it a go if i can find someone selling inflator units then. The actual diameter of the buddy tube looks a lot wider than most so query whether it'd actually fit on another brand. From what you said it will so im worrying about nothing.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Look at Woz's thread about inflator units. The Diverite one that Bardo posted on there is the one I've currently got on my tekwing. It did fit fine on mine.

·
to far from a ocean
468 Posts
I found that most look the same BUT there are some that look the same but have longer or shorter valve stems these can be forced onto the inflator (jacket part)stem but usually end up in the tech bin for replacement, the ones that spring to mind were tusa inflators ,scubapro inflators (no I am not talking about air 2). and just a few others but as a ex shop monkey/tech, o how I loved the day after check out when instructors would drop off the mangled remains of hoses.
As a multi manufacturer shop it was the boses policy to carry as many differing types of equipment in rental as was possible now thismay sound great but was a night mare as some reg bcd combos would only work well as a matched unit, but in the packing stuff phase the new shop person took a few weeks-months to get it right thats if they ever did and as a instructor you learns=ed not to assume the person had got it right.
I made a point of making all the D/M and Instructors carried spare hose's and adjustable spanners to do fixs so the answer is no they are not all the same but the biggest % are

·
to far from a ocean
468 Posts
I'll give it a go if i can find someone selling inflator units then. The actual diameter of the buddy tube looks a lot wider than most so query whether it'd actually fit on another brand. From what you said it will so im worrying about nothing.
Short answer no
buddy had or has a definite tubes diameter thicker than standard(?) lp hose it used to be you could buy bits and make longer shorter hoses for the buddy jackets is this still so?
so if the two bit were looked at side by side the width of the hose orifice would be greater than the stem on the jacket.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Scubadog, I think you're talking about the LP inflator hose - String is talking about the corrugated hose.

What String is suggesting will work fine: I know this because I've done it, and it worked fine. :D

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I bought a Halcyon corrugated hose to replace a DIRZone one - they looked the same but they're not - totally incompatible :embarassed:

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Cut the corrugated hose in the middle and chop off the excess.

Stick in a bit of poly pipe to join the two halves together and cable tie it all back up. The ties will be fine, as thats all that holds the hose on anyway....

You'll only need an inch of poly pipe that will cost pence from a DIY shop. It worked fine on one of my old BCD's for years.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to change the entire unit. Buddy using a non-standard nipple on the inflator makes it a total pain in the arse for me as i have 2 wings, 1 normal 1 buddy inflator and when abroad end up having to use other regs with standard hoses.

For that reason i want the buddy inflator unit gone and replaced by one with a standard connector.

(and yes, i want to change the inflator unit itself not the LP hose).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts