YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
Hi all just an update on my diving in Swildons sumps . just had a great trip into swildons on Sunday and dived sumps  1 2 3 and 4 . Sump 4 is an intersting sump, very diffrent to sumps 2 and 3 its not so nice , bit of a  tight wriggle  a face to the floor dive with not much  room   , its a grimy sump with thousands of worms in your face at the bottom swimming round your mask with nowhere to go . at least  it was only 2 of them found there way into my wet suite . will keep you all updated with my onward journey through Swildons sumps .
Fiona.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Double, triple hard.  You go girl!  What was the vis like? Get any lobbies?
EEEh takes me back to the days I was doing Swindon sumps - face to the floor dive with not much room - happy memories

Erk - SWILDON? Um..  I apologise already

Much respect Fiona

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Ohh Nooo....

I'm just not into that. You are too much on the far side of diving for me now, tight and scary are not on my agenda.

Keep it safe - send a fat person first.

James  

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Hi Fiona,

At NDC on Sunday I was chatting to some cave divers who were there testing out a home built rebreather.

After speaking to them and after we spoke before I was getting tempted.

Then your comments about face to the floor with thousands of worms in your face and all of a sudden I'm not so keen again.

Maybe someday.  

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>Sounds fantastic... cannot wait to join you! Will speak soon!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Mark  I could not make NDC this weekend as got sidetracked over in the Mendips.Most of the sumps in Swildons are not that bad sump 4 is the worst for wroms I have not seen any in sumps 1 2 or 3. I think that sump 5 may have a few  but nothing like 4 . sumps  2 and 3 are clean, other than the silt that is kicked up after the first person has gone through , but they are quite roomy . I belive sump 7 is quite a bugger through a boltder choke but have not got that far yet to find out .will keep you posted on my progress
thanks Fiona.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SWILDONS 12 I`ve made it.at long last !!!!

Hi All I have just had great trip into swildons sump 12 .It was an excellent trip .I have building up to it for some time, I have finaly got there yesterday .It was really nice to sit in the sump pool at 12 and enjoy the moment.
Fiona.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fantastic effort.

I used do spend many happy hours in Swildons as a teenager. Stick to open water now. Your posts take me straight back to my sitting in the pool at sump 1 building the courage to take the deep breath and go for it. I always wanted to have a go at the longer sumps on OC but dropped out of caving when work/marriage etc got in the way. Most of my caving was done with a mates dad who was in the CDG at the start and did much of the original stuff in Swildons pushing the initial sumps. I was enthralled by their tales of daring do.

Keep up the good work. I will sit here and reminise and be envious of your dives.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I have only done a 'proper' cave dive once and that was in Swildons. It was a rescue job for some cavers who got trapped by rising floodwater. Unfortunately, it was the weekend of the cave divers conference in Sheffield so they were all away. The club I was with at the time used to do the police work then (mid 60's) and we had one guy who was also a caver and knew Swildons well. I was picked because I was reasonably small and less likely to get stuck than some of the others. I have to say that this must rank as one of the worst dives of my life and one I would never want to repeat - I was scared s***less!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts