YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
Hi all just an update on my diving in Swildons sumps . just had a great trip into swildons on Sunday and dived sumps  1 2 3 and 4 . Sump 4 is an intersting sump, very diffrent to sumps 2 and 3 its not so nice , bit of a  tight wriggle  a face to the floor dive with not much  room   , its a grimy sump with thousands of worms in your face at the bottom swimming round your mask with nowhere to go . at least  it was only 2 of them found there way into my wet suite . will keep you all updated with my onward journey through Swildons sumps .
Fiona.

· Banned
1,380 Posts
Imported post

Double, triple hard.  You go girl!  What was the vis like? Get any lobbies?
EEEh takes me back to the days I was doing Swindon sumps - face to the floor dive with not much room - happy memories

Erk - SWILDON? Um..  I apologise already

Much respect Fiona

· TDI Instructor Trainer
2,933 Posts
Imported post

Hi Fiona,

At NDC on Sunday I was chatting to some cave divers who were there testing out a home built rebreather.

After speaking to them and after we spoke before I was getting tempted.

Then your comments about face to the floor with thousands of worms in your face and all of a sudden I'm not so keen again.

Maybe someday.  

· Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Mark  I could not make NDC this weekend as got sidetracked over in the Mendips.Most of the sumps in Swildons are not that bad sump 4 is the worst for wroms I have not seen any in sumps 1 2 or 3. I think that sump 5 may have a few  but nothing like 4 . sumps  2 and 3 are clean, other than the silt that is kicked up after the first person has gone through , but they are quite roomy . I belive sump 7 is quite a bugger through a boltder choke but have not got that far yet to find out .will keep you posted on my progress
thanks Fiona.

· Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SWILDONS 12 I`ve made it.at long last !!!!

Hi All I have just had great trip into swildons sump 12 .It was an excellent trip .I have building up to it for some time, I have finaly got there yesterday .It was really nice to sit in the sump pool at 12 and enjoy the moment.
Fiona.

· Registered
259 Posts
Fantastic effort.

I used do spend many happy hours in Swildons as a teenager. Stick to open water now. Your posts take me straight back to my sitting in the pool at sump 1 building the courage to take the deep breath and go for it. I always wanted to have a go at the longer sumps on OC but dropped out of caving when work/marriage etc got in the way. Most of my caving was done with a mates dad who was in the CDG at the start and did much of the original stuff in Swildons pushing the initial sumps. I was enthralled by their tales of daring do.

Keep up the good work. I will sit here and reminise and be envious of your dives.

· Registered
3,393 Posts
I have only done a 'proper' cave dive once and that was in Swildons. It was a rescue job for some cavers who got trapped by rising floodwater. Unfortunately, it was the weekend of the cave divers conference in Sheffield so they were all away. The club I was with at the time used to do the police work then (mid 60's) and we had one guy who was also a caver and knew Swildons well. I was picked because I was reasonably small and less likely to get stuck than some of the others. I have to say that this must rank as one of the worst dives of my life and one I would never want to repeat - I was scared s***less!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.