YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been swimming on a daily basis for the last few weeks, last week I started doing 110 (2750m) each session, but this morning I really struggled. I didn't think I was going to make the first 20 lengths but eventually got to 62 by which time my shoulders/ biceps felt like lead.

So question is which is more beneficial

110 lengths x 3 times a week

or

62ish lengths x 5 times a week

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It depends on what you want out of the swimming.

You want to look at the swimming you are doing rather than the shear amount of lengths. Ploughing up and down for 100 lengths is not necessarily better than doing 40 lengths split into high intensity sets.

go google for triathlon swim training for some workouts.

J.

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Like most training (not an expert) you need to give your muscles 24 hrs rest between exercises other wise there isnt much benefit and more likely to strain something

Maybe try swimming one day then some other form the following day that uses a different set of muscles.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jason

After the first 20, I do sets of 6 which I time.

Looking to improve fitness but not do a triathalon

·
Registered
496 Posts
Triathlon swimming sets are not a bad idea though as they aim to improve the swimming of people who generally didn't start off as swimmers even if they are fit.

Then again, I'm biased - I moved from a swimming club to a tri club, improved my swimming no end and got sucked into the rest of the triathlon by accident (only mini ones mind you! :) ).

·
From sunny Sleaford
218 Posts
Better off doing 4 days of 78l

day one do a short warm up say 8l any stroke

4l legs only
4l arms only
then do the bulk of the lengths in what ever combination
leaving 8l left to do a nice warm down

then do this every other day you go

Then on the other day inbetween when you go just do the 78l with out spliting them

Andy

Pm if you want anymore help used to be a swimmer and did a bit of coaching as well

·
Registered
48 Posts
No Pain no Gain might not always be true, it would seem that since youve been able to do so much before and suddenly you find it difficult you could just have pushed those sets of muscles to far.

Try swimming one day, push as far as you feel you want to, a little stiffness in the limbs lets you know your doing a good job, but dont go crazy.
On the other day go cycling, this put only a little pressure on your shoulders (where you said it was like lead right) and keeps your legs going hard, plus you can vary how hard you work with the gears. Feel like really working put into a higher gear, then to relax for a bit put it down to a low or medium gear.

Plus dont forget to eat the right foods, nothing to fatty, the more fats the harder your body has to work to put that into energy. This means your muscles really start to struggle.
Before I go on the bike its either pasta or cereal, with a fresh banana milkshake (or a banana plain)
then bring water of course.

You should give a good break between long periods of excercise to let the Lactic acid be disposed of by your body

·
Registered
488 Posts
Fiona,

If you haven't found this site yet you may find it helpful.
swim4fitness
There are lots of tips on training and links to other places with useful information and once registered you can contact "the Team" with queries.

Personally I found it a great benefit to move from 3 to 5 days, and I find I get better towards the end of the week. A good plan is to mix up the training, one day steady pace, the next intervals etc. etc. I do all 5 sessions the same but these days I'm on a maintenance schedule aiming to swim 3K in an hour depending on how busy the lanes are - some days are harder than others but it works for me.

Nutrition is obviously important as is post session stretching.

I found this book very helpful for ironing out a few kinks in technique and general motivation and it is important to relax into the stroke.
Master the Art of Swimming:Raising Your Performance with the Alexander technique - By Steven Shaw

HTH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts