YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a short bimble on my own tonight, bit too late for the day time action and a bit too early for the night time stuff but lovely clear and warm water so decided to look at stuff I often swim past.

This peacock's tail is everywhere but I find it pretty sometimes.

and this little ocellated wrasse was determined to get in my lens, I think he could see his reflection :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's really nice PB,

I often wonder about people who say their dive was crap because they didn't see anything. I mainly dive abroad but am in awe of everything I see whether it be coral, the vast amount of fish, macro stuff or the big stuff, how can you come off a dive in those waters and say 'oh, we didn't really see anything'.....it's better than Capers, and even then I love the sturgeon!

Mrs. D :)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
That's really nice PB,

I often wonder about people who say their dive was crap because they didn't see anything. I mainly dive abroad but am in awe of everything I see whether it be coral, the vast amount of fish, macro stuff or the big stuff, how can you come off a dive in those waters and say 'oh, we didn't really see anything'.....it's better than Capers, and even then I love the sturgeon!

Mrs. D :)

its oftern a case of not knowing it is there to see it. or not realsing int he gloom that its actualy a living thing not some mank.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its oftern a case of not knowing it is there to see it. or not realsing int he gloom that its actualy a living thing not some mank.
I disagree slightly Paul, I think lots if not most people jump in the water and swim off hoping to see stuff but not really looking, the middle of my 3 shots above is a good example, I've done over 100 dives here, see that stuff on every dive, it's so prevalent you can easily stop noticing it but it's only when you get up close to it and take the time to actually look at it that you discover that it,s hairy, that it's home to other micro organisms and that lit correctly it can be pretty in it's own right. People swim past a lot of our most common little fish, the multitudinous varieties of wrasse or damsel fish etc, do one circuit of the blue hole and then want to dive a different site cos they have "done the Blue Hole". It's the difference between getting to know somewhere, learning about the inhabitants or ticking a box.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
It's the difference between getting to know somewhere, learning about the inhabitants or ticking a box.
This I completely agree with, and I really think it is the difference with living somewhere where you don't feel forced to be picky about your dives. I love doing the local sites time and time again, but if I came for the weekend I would be fuming if a skipper put me on the same site 4 times!

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This I completely agree with, and I really think it is the difference with living somewhere where you don't feel forced to be picky about your dives. I love doing the local sites time and time again, but if I came for the weekend I would be fuming if a skipper put me on the same site 4 times!
Yep it's one of the reasons I moved here. :)

wheres the wreck?
No wrecks in Xwieni bay but I did photograph a wrasse for you ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts