YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friendlies, i am trying to switch broadband suppliers and BT are asking me for my MAC code before i can switch to them. Errr, can anyone tell me wtf a mac code is and how do i find out what mine is? I am currently with freeserve/wanadoo/orange, if that matters

Cheers folks, please try and speak in a language that a complete numpty can understand:embarassed:

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
A mac code is the broadband equivalent of a PAC code in the mobile phone market. You'll need to ask your existing broadband provider to give you one. You'll then be able to get BT to take your broadband over.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers folks, so basically i call orange ask them for the code then phone that through to BT and all is well and the transfer is seamless?

Greens on the way

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dudes, i don't have a router. I have a little modem thingy called a speedtouch summat or other:embarassed:

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
It's on the little sticker underneath at the end where the cables come out, or it is on my Speedtouch 330 :D

i.e MAC : 000E50-D08E03 (that's mine, don't give them that one!)

ColinM

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's on the little sticker underneath at the end where the cables come out, or it is on my Speedtouch 330 :D

i.e MAC : 000E50-D08E03 (that's mine, don't give them that one!)

ColinM
I have a sticker on the bottom of it with loads of numbers on, but nowt in hexadecimal.

This is embarrassing for an engineer with a degree in electronics:embarassed:

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I have a sticker on the bottom of it with loads of numbers on, but nowt in hexadecimal.

This is embarrassing for an engineer with a degree in electronics:embarassed:
I always knew you where a thick cnut and not just around the middle:teeth:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sean,

What Bantam says is right, the MAC code you need is supplied by your current ISP when you tell them you want to move to a new ISP. If it's anything like migration of mobiles you'll get sent it in a letter from Orange 3-4 days after you request it.

BT take that code from you and then use it in their dealings with Orange as they move you across.

Simple innit.

Greg

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
Colin,

Respectfully, I'm going to tell you you're talking shite.

The MAC address is used as part of the base method above physical connectivity to enable protocol stacks to talk to each other. In IPX the MAC address was your network address. In IP you can see it's used as part of the ARP table (for example - type arp -a), but it most definitely is not the same as the MAC code you use for migrating broadband connections.

How do I know? I'm Group IT Network Manager for a FTSE100 PLC Company and have just migrated 100 home broadband users from one ISP to another.

Also, you don't need to use a MAC address to assign a static IP. It doesn't care what hardware you plug into the line - as long as it's ADSL compatible and you can put the username and password in it, it will assign you the correct IP address.

You can use the MAC address as a form of authentication on wireless and wired connections, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to sniff the MAC address and alter the one on your own machine....

So Sean - the answer is, ring Orange and request a MAC code. Then give that code to BT and the migration process will happen. If you're moving to a home highway they should send that through to you too, and you can dispense with the speedtouch modem (which is insecure anyway).
Yeah . . . . . sure . . . . wrong MAC :(.

The word on the street is that Orange aren't forthcoming with the code, and might need persuading with the mention of OFCOM.

ColinM

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
:popcorn: :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts