YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using 64 bit Windows 7 Home Edition and want to create a system image and save on a networked hard drive. Any software recommendations?

·
Registered
763 Posts
You don't need software.
Win7 > start button > control panel > system and security > back and restore............................job done.

·
High on Cotol fumes ;-)
255 Posts
Symantec Ghost will do it (at least that's what it used to be called)
I'm confused as well as the image option is, or should be, present in each version. The only restriction for Home is you can't image directly to a network location, you'll have to do it to a local drive and then copy it to your NAS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Please note this post was made prior to 21 Dec 201
149 Posts

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Symantec Ghost will do it (at least that's what it used to be called)
I'm confused as well as the image option is, or should be, present in each version. The only restriction for Home is you can't image directly to a network location, you'll have to do it to a local drive and then copy it to your NAS.

The image version is there on Windows 7, but only to save to local drive using HE. Saving office master machine image to local then copying is too clunky Leighton and need to be able to automate so hands free. Symantec was recommended to me but the spec only lists versions above HE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Another vote fo Macrium. Works well for 32bit and 64 bit windows. I have used this for a recovery and it worked well but you do need both the windows and linux recovery boot disks to cater for hardware quirks. Nice thing with macrium is you can do restores of single files or directories from the backup if required. The windows restore facility with win 7 pro works well but it can only do total restores. I currently schedule macrium to backup to my NAS once a week.

·
High on Cotol fumes ;-)
255 Posts
The image version is there on Windows 7, but only to save to local drive using HE. Saving office master machine image to local then copying is too clunky Leighton and need to be able to automate so hands free. Symantec was recommended to me but the spec only lists versions above HE.
If you want to upgrade to Pro (or 8) let me know and I'll sort you a copy (all legit, legal, above board etc)
Can bring it on the 8th

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to upgrade to Pro (or 8) let me know and I'll sort you a copy (all legit, legal, above board etc)
Can bring it on the 8th

Will need to talk to software support of management software I use to check Pro is OK with their software. Fussy stuff.

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The OS is identical,

I'd like to think so but this particular prog sniffs stuff and uses other progs in a pretty unique way so need to check as business critical.

·
Gone to pastures new
958 Posts
Nope, local drive only. Need to save image to 2TB NAS.
One of the reasons I switched to pro was so I could back up straight to the NAS. Both plugged on the same router in the same room I gave up after it was still running nearly two days later, takes about 2 hours to a USB drive.

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of the reasons I switched to pro was so I could back up straight to the NAS. Both plugged on the same router in the same room I gave up after it was till running nearly two days later, takes about 2 hours to a USB drive.
What size were you imaging?

·
Gone to pastures new
958 Posts
What size were you imaging?
Looks like the image is 350GB, as I said it's pretty quick to the USB drive 2 hours or so, I'd have expected the NAS on a 100Mb connection to be about 4x as long but it was only partially completed at two days and since I do a weekly backup...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts