YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Paul posted this a couple of days back.

"Okay, this is a quick brief on what this Egyptian resort is all about. Before I went I searched for detail but just found American reports saying how good the food was!

Taba Heights is a Northern part of the Red Sea. Turn right at Sharm and keep going. It's hot but try and avoid March, the wind factor removes the pleasure of diving. I knew I had blown it when the guide pulled out her Oceanic drysuit and I'd just convince my partner to buy a 5mm semidry from O Three (nice suit BTW!). Water temp may be 21 but the wind soon cools you down.

Dive company: There's one and it's called Red Sea Waterworld. If it hadn't been for Ben Piper (RSWW Dive guide) I would have instantly wrote them off! The previous female dive guide was a nightmare! Our day one of boat diving had a brief that said ... "We don't know the name, we don't know what's down there but some fishermen said they caught some sharks here!” This dive turned out to be a sandy bottom with bad vis and very little to see. We were not impressed.

This seems to be a problem at Taba! They do have a few nice dives but these are house reefs and the dive boat will return to the same site on numerous occasions. If you have booked a week with them be warned! You will be diving the same site more than once.

One good dive site is a place called Farun Island. However the dive centre bring snorkellers here and there was one horrific report of someone being run over by a "police" boat. Apparently the local authorites and this dive center do not get along too well!

Out of all the divers I spoke to, no-one said that they would return to Taba Heights.

Conclusion:

Diving here removes all the hassle and crowds that you get in Sharm. You may find cheap package deals but the hotels make a lot of money on drinks, water included! The cost of diving is IMO expensive with a risk of so so dive sites. I'd wait a few years and let the resort mature whilst the dive companies find more choice. I'm sure there's good diving but as paying guests, I don’t think it's our job to spend valuable holiday time trying to find them, especially at these premium prices.

Related link: Red Sea Water World

Red Sea Water World

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

we stayed at the taba hilton and it was very cheap and  nice and easy for leaners (Bethi did OW there) but yes you would get bored of the three house reefs . I would go again for a week with the kids as a cheap package but not for exciting diving.

Jules

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Imported post

Having just returned from Taba and being on the self same boat as Paul, I'd venture the following ...

We had a group of 14 divers and although they were fairly inexperienced, they had a great trip.

OK, it's not the Thistlegorm et al but if you do your research and take into account the good deals on flights/hotels etc. it is neither expensive nor boring.

Some dive sites were repeated, but we were happy to do so as they were good dives.  Paul mentions neither Maxwell's or Aquarium dive sites - our group enjoyed them so much they asked to do them again.  Bear in mind, that on a couple of days the dive guides and skipper recommended different dives than those planned, due to the wind making the proposed dives unfeasible.

As for costs - the dive centre prices I think were middle of the road.

As for the hotel, we were in the 5*+ Hyatt where beer was LE25 (£2.50) and 2 litres of bottled water LE8 (80p) - not what I'd call expensive.

Our group had an excellent week - I think it all depends on your expectations and how demanding you are as a customer and diver.  It also depends on where you've been before.  If you've dived Sharm, the northern wrecks and Hurghada, then Taba may not seem up there with them, but the big plus is the total lack of crowds.

From our point of view, the guides at RSWW were fine and the service they gave us great - we'd go back.

Although we were on the same boat as Paul, it seems that we have very different perceptions of how the week went and also other peoples views on the week.

Hope this helps anybody considering going there.

If anyone wants any further info., please feel to PM or e-mail or check out the photos from the week on our website.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Yep, been there too.

Thought it was great value for the money and the dive were nice too.

No complaints from me!

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts