YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Troops,

I find myself witha coupla weeks 'take-'em-or-lose-'em' holiday to work in before Christmas and saw a offer in the paper for a week in Taba for £385 (OK, they'll be single supplement on top as Fiona hasn't got any hols left this year).

So, any of you chaps/chapesses been to Taba? Worth a run out? Stay clear? Wrecks or reefs OR wrecks and reefs? Nightlife-sherry outposts? Places for decent nose-bag?

All info gratefully accepted!!!

Cheers in advance.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Bren
posted a reply on Handbag after I did a search of their archives.

Regards

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I posted on Divernet, too, Bren.
PS Matt, strange piccy!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Hey John and Matt,

Cheers guys, I'll go and give em a read.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

John
its the only one I have on my works machine that I have to hand, whats strange? I cut it from a larger pic so it might look a bit odd, or is that just me?

Matt

This one any better?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Nov. 18 2003,18:41)]John
its the only one I have on my works machine that I have to hand, whats strange? I cut it from a larger pic so it might look a bit odd, or is that just me?

Matt

This one any better?
You look deformed.  

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

How bizarre Bren,

i bumped into a lady on Sunday who was going off to Taba for a fortnight. Alas, she wasn't doing any diving there but just going off to chill out for a fornight at some pukka hotel - aparanetly it had a good golf course.

I was very tempted as a non-diver, if you can get a week for £300ish it's pretty good going, the BA flight to cairo was £350.

HTH,

gareth.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Bren babes
I took the kids to the Taba Hilton year before last, really cheap deal through crusader travel , half board for a fortnight for the three of us was something like #1100 all in, lovely hotel fantastic service, etc. Downside for people travelling without kids is that Taba is a one horse town and you would need to go to Eillat over the border in isreal for night life. We didnt cos we were all off to bed by 10pm. The diving was choice of shore based (calm safe and great for kids but possibly a bit dull for intredid underwater explorers such as your self) or daily boat diving which was good but nothing like anything you get down in sharm.
summary, cheap, good value and excellent for families, but you might find th3 diving a bit tame. Thehilton is definately the best hotel there and check out the prices because it s good value.

Jules
xx

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I had a week in Eilat last year and crossed over to the hilton to do some diving with Aquasport (www.aqua-sport.com).

I loved the diving, there was very very few people on the boat, noone else in the water and the sites were pristine, but as far as I could see it was all reefs.

From what the other people on the boat said there was nothing to do in the evenings and they spent each night in the hotel bar.

Across the border in Eilat (which you can walk across from the hilton and then get a taxi into the town) there was a lot more vibrance, like a decent med/US resort. Reefs were more beet up and it does have some wrecks. You can dive Dolphin reef (a dolphin santuary) or hire DPV or minisubs. The only downside to Israel is the security, going through the border can be a bit of a pain and I believe that if you have certain stamps on your passport (i.e. certain Islamic ones) you may not get in. If you do go across then ask them to stamp a seperate sheet to includein your passport so it doesn't affect your chances of going to places like Sudan later.

I travelled with longwood (http://www.longwoodholidays.co.uk/main/deals.htm) who can get you there for £280 and dived with Aquasport who can arrange a diving pack for you on noth sides of the border (and will even send someone along to help you through the formalities).

Personally, if I was travelling on my own I would go to either Eilat or Dahab

Hope this helps

Conor

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

We stayed at the hyatt Regency a couple of years ago last April.
Great hotel and the reef off the beach was a nice 5m bimble with a snorkel lots of suprisingly large fish given depth etc.
Only diving was at Aqua sport on the border. We did the house reef and a couple of days on the boat. The boat dives were not up to Na'ama bay standard. Lots of anchor damage and broken coral. It was quiet and the folks at aqua sport were helpful and relaxed.
The border crossing requires a sense of humour. You are either an escaping or infiltrating terrorist - can't win

1 - 11 of 11 Posts