YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Buzz
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know people's thoughts about taking a young family (age 7 and 5) to Egypt this Autumn. If it was just me and my wife, I'd have no hesitation, but kiddies make it a bit more complicated.

It seems fine now, but there is 5 months for things to get better/get worse.

Also - any recommendations for family friendly resorts? The Nuweiba Hilton seems a potential option. Looking for good pools, kids club and easy diving.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
In resorts along the Red Sea, no issue at all. Even at the height of the trouble they seemed to be largely unaffected.

Would I book a trip to Cairo or other big city? Probably not, partly because even in Autumn they can be very hot for young kids, and if there are any political issues this is where they are most likely to happen.

Digs.

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
El Gouna is a private, upmarket town and very safe with our own security. We have an international school for all the non-Egyptian children that live here safely all year round. I have lived here for seven years so am happy to answer any questions. Photos on my profile page on here of our beautiful town or click on El Gouna Red Sea Egypt's Best Holiday Destination and Beach Resort Town . El Gouna is 30 minutes drive north of Hurghada airport or if you have your own private jet then you can land at El Gouna Airport!

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
Age 5 might be just a little too young to be comfortable in the heat out there.

Having had an amazingly good stay at one hotel in Sharks bay, I was trawling the reviews & found a lengthy moan from someone who purported to be a doctor but complained about how difficult they found it to manage with a young baby in the heat. (Blaming Egypt, the egyptians and the travel company, etc, etc)
Egypt? Summer? Duh?

Wonder where he qualified as a doctor?

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I took my kids to Egypt but they found their way back! :(

Reactions: OkiMike

·
Account Deleted
750 Posts
Iv been taking my little man to Egypt since he was 3 month, hes had 5 trips out there so far and hes not 3 years old yet, he loves it.

just had a thought how the hell do the Egyptians cope with thier kids or dont they have young families?

·
Buzz
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been out there in November and it was pleasantly warm. I would have thought October would be similar. Agree that August would be a no-go.

I was thinking of having the kids up in the morning, enforcing a siesta and then playing around the pool later in the afternoon.

I've been to Sharm and Hurghada before and don't really want to go there with kids. I like Dahab a lot. Fancy somewhere quite quiet as I don't envisage doing more than coaxing my wife back into diving after 8 years off (easy shore diving preferred) and messing around in the pool. A bit of first-time snorkelling with my 7 year old would be a bonus - he's been practising in the bath.

Next question - in what circumstances does travel insurance tend to cover cancellations in the event that things kick off again? It's a while since I looked at policy smallprint, but I expect they would try and wriggle out of civil disturbance.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've just got back from Dahab with my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter who had a great time. Pool or shopping in the morning, siesta at midday then more pool time in the afternoon before going into town to eat in the evening.

Egyptians love kids and you'll hardly know you've got them out there.
This is true - everybody from hotel staff to taxi drivers went out of their way to help.

Might have had something to do with her being a blonde blue eyed girl, or her mum being a blonde blue eyed 24 year old :)

·
I love Justin Bieber
772 Posts
you would be surprised how resilient kids are when it comes to extreme temperatures my daughter spent most of her childhood living in the middle east and Asia

I back this up 100% saw so much more of North Africa & Middle East Coz I had my kids along. Been taking my boys since the were 3 & 18 months. Locals see you more as "In the Parent Club."Get the Lonely planet Guide to Traveling with Kids, Full of usefull stuff:- Lonely Planet Travel With Children Guide

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
couple of years ago took my niece and nephew to Sharm in August (they were then 8 and 4), they were fine, we stayed at an all inclusive (Hilton Sharks Bay). Kept to the shade for the hottest part of the day, or they just jumped in the sea or swimming pools. My mum (in her 70's) found it much harder to adjust to the heat. They both snorkelled from the hotel reef, and you can dive from there as well.

·
Girlie diver
745 Posts
True.. we had family and friends come out in early autumn for our wedding (early September) and it was probably a little too hot for most.. apart from the kids!

There is not likely to be any issue regarding safety politically, as there has been no trouble in Sharm anyway. You could have come here in the middle of the revolution and not known anything about it (other than the bizarrely empty streets, due to the lack of non British tourists).

I would say October November are the best months for people who are a little sensitive to the heat. And especially with children, the most important thing is keeping everyone hydrated!! Can't emphasise that one enough :) Pools and the sea are great for cooling down though, and as has been said already, keep out of the midday sun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would put another vote in for El Gouns......going Tuesday, after we enjoyed it last year.
No hassles, easy to get around and lots of nice eateries. Not the "real" egypt but if you want Egypt without hassle try it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts