YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Mate of mine is wanting to get some lobster, crab or flatfish for post dive BBQ when we go shore diving in Pembrokeshire this weekend.

I have no moral qualms about taking stuff that will be eaten, BUT I want to make sure what get's taken is:
- edible
- not juvenile
- not pregnant

I know you don't take lobster that's in berry, and that it's clear when they are they by eggs visible on their underside.

How can you tell with crabs? And which types of crab are edible (e.g. spider?)

What are the size guidelines for lobsters and crabs?

If anyone has a link to "How to Take Food From the Sea as a Diver Without Ballsing Up the Local Ecosystem" that would be fantastic...?  

Any advice on the matter also appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ April 28 2004,16:21)]How can you tell with crabs? And which types of crab are edible (e.g. spider?)
Depends upon your point of view of what is "edible" - the french will eat most things that us Brits would turn our noses up at
(and probably vice versa)

Spiders are edible as are squatties but you have to question how much you get for your effort.

Aside from the above smartar5e comments, try the Marine Conversation site.

http://www.mcsuk.org/

If it is not there, contact them and I am sure they will be able to point you directly to where that info exists as to sizing etc

Regards

Simon

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ April 28 2004,16:21)]How can you tell with crabs? And which types of crab are edible (e.g. spider?)
Spider crabs are edible and much liked in France/Spain but not in the UK for some reason.

I always try to bring back a spider crab for my mate who loves them and tells me they are better eating than the "edible crabs". AFAIK it is only spiders and edibles that grow to sufficient size to eat in UK waters?

When catching flatties try grabbing them by the tail rather than pinning them to the floor with a knife. I think they initially tend to try and rely on their camoflage and don't do anything to start with. If you approach fairly slowly and grab them by the tail they won't do anything for a few seconds then you might get a "wavey arm" but they are glad to get in the goodie bag for a bit of piece and quiet. I have caught quite a few with this method with only one escapee.

There was a post on here previously by one of our lady divers that showed how to kill a crab before dumping it into/onto something very hot. Maybe she will see this post and be kind enough to put up a link again.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how to kill a crab before dumping it into/onto something very hot. Maybe she will see this post and be kind enough to put up a link again.
Lift up the 'tail' and plunge your knife in there. And don't arm wrestle with it.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ April 28 2004,16:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how to kill a crab before dumping it into/onto something very hot. Maybe she will see this post and be kind enough to put up a link again.
Lift up the 'tail' and plunge your knife in there. And don't arm wrestle with it.
Crab tails?  

The post I remember showed a picture of an edible crab underside and where to put a knife in to kill it quickly. This was only for the "edible crab" and no spiders or lobsters.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Cheers for the info chaps.

In case anyone else is interested, the previous thread about how best to kill lobsters and crabs is here:
http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/cgi-bin....6;st=50

Get's onto how to kill about page 6, after whether to kill.
Conclusion? Inconclusive. Most seem to advocate freezer and/or dump into boiling water, some a knife between the eyes.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Velvet Swimming Crabs are also edible! Used to sit at the pier in Tobermory and watch the fishermen bringing them in. Unsurprisingly, they go to France too!

Peter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Try getting the crab and strecthing the claws open over a pole, gunnel rail or even a rock while u/w.

Get the sharpest knife about you can and  place it on the on the small area of flesh that connects the two chelae. If you find the right place you wil very gently (and painlessly) snip the tendon that gives the strength to the claws - thus removing the gripping power!! it is a really simple snip and is done by fishermen who are storing crabs in pots before landing them. Plus it means that your BBQ dinner will not eat it's own salad dressing or accompiament!

Failing that, if it moves stick a big knife in it!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

OK Lobster Hunting

1. Never shine your torch at it 'cos it will be gone. Keep it obleque and use the edge of the light.

2. Grab behind the head.

3. If its in Berry (lots of eggs) let it go.

4. If its soft (shed its shell recently) let it go.

5. Size - Min length 7.5cm (my hands width),  so if you have hold of it behind the head then it should show ever side of your hand the measuring distance. So from the back of the head/scull to the start / base of the tail. (Most in shops are only just this size using a 7 year olds hand  

5.1 Length 24cm, so holding it on your arm, start of head at finger tips then full lengh so tail projecting just past your 'puter/watch/compass (if its on your wrist). If they are all on your HP hose this don't work.

Take your own measurements to be sure.

Happy Hunting and everything in the pot,

Paul

This weekend i will be mostly eating Scalops  

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dandiver @ April 28 2004,22:46)]If you find the right place you wil very gently (and painlessly) snip the tendon that gives the strength to the claws
Painlessly.......  Says who ?

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>LOBBY HUNTING.

EQUIPMENT

1. large goody bag.
2. Travel size bottle of washing up liquid.

Once you find your lobby, give a little squirt of washing up liquid in front of it , ( THIS makes the lobby stay put and claws come up ).
Put ya hand inside your goody bag, pulling it inside out up ya arm.   grab lobby and insert into bag,,,,

yummy yummy

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ April 28 2004,17:21)]I know you don't take lobster that's in berry, and that it's clear when they are by eggs visible on their underside.
How can you tell with crabs?
Exactly the same way as with lobsters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts