YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK, following on from my earlier tank questions. I have now got myself to the point where I have another question.

Is it possible to have a tank tested with any type of correctly fitting DIN valve in it? I ask this as I have some tanks that are fitted with imperial tapered threads and their valves are not diving ones (Sabre BA valves). As I understand tapered diving valves are now quite rare (how rare??)

As I understand it, the tank test just involves checking the wear on the threads not necessarily checking the valve is specifically EN250 rated?? Am I correct, or just being a obtimistic.

In case anyone is wondering, if anyone tells me that diving with such valves are dangerous I shall pass them onto someone who knows what they are doing! I have no wish to put myself, or anyone else, in danger.

Also, several of the tanks can be fitted with MDE tapered valves that came on an old twinset. Is it possible to get these older valves converted to 02 clean. Does anyone  have a number for MDE??

A lot of questions I know, but any help with this would really be appreciated.

ta

Andy

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bloss @ Jan. 26 2004,17:34)]OK, following on from my earlier tank questions. I have now got myself to the point where I have another question.

Is it possible to have a tank tested with any type of correctly fitting DIN valve in it? I ask this as I have some tanks that are fitted with imperial tapered threads and their valves are not diving ones (Sabre BA valves). As I understand tapered diving valves are now quite rare (how rare??)

As I understand it, the tank test just involves checking the wear on the threads not necessarily checking the valve is specifically EN250 rated?? Am I correct, or just being a obtimistic.

In case anyone is wondering, if anyone tells me that diving with such valves are dangerous I shall pass them onto someone who knows what they are doing! I have no wish to put myself, or anyone else, in danger.

Also, several of the tanks can be fitted with MDE tapered valves that came on an old twinset. Is it possible to get these older valves converted to 02 clean. Does anyone  have a number for MDE??

A lot of questions I know, but any help with this would really be appreciated.

ta

Andy
<font color='#0000FF'>andy,
your cylinders can be tested.
i have some 1976 ba cylinders that still pass a hydro although the neck section  i would  consider the weakest point.
i do not use these cylinders with high o2 however.
the valves can be made with the correct taper in manchester if you need the address let me know.
bear in mind if a cylinder fails the hydro you will probably still be charged for the service and most of the ba cylinders are only rated to 207 bar.
only use valves that you can confirm the thread is the correct match.
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>There are different sizes of tapered thread, too.

If you need some tapered thread valves, give me a shout. I've got a load of old test failures that I got for very little, and the valves are all still good. You can have them for £3 each. Postage will be very little. Rules on valves are just that they can't be aluminium, and no tapered threads on allys. Obviously there are others, but those are the most common reasons to need to replace a valve/fail a tank.

If you've got any tapered thread DIN/balanced valves you can spare, I'll give you cash for them, especially if you've got a manifold. If you've got any 3/4 BSP DIN valves I'll have them off you too. I need 2 of them at some point.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Bang-on, Many thanks for the info, that's really put my mind at rest. The tanks are all basically BA tanks but have been used for some quite extensive diving as drop tanks/stages, some have appropriate tapered MDE valves, but the others have either dreager or Sabre valves on. I would be really grateful if you could PM me the address of the Manchester valve manufacturer.

Digger - sounds like you and I need to do a little bartering! I've got several different types of tapered thread valves but not sure whether they're balanced for not! Is there any way to tell??

Neither the tanks nor the valves that I have are ally, so that doesn't present a problem.

As for 3/4 BSP DIN valves, are these normal modern DIN valves with the O-ring at the top? If so I have two of these brand new that I don't think are of much use to me. I know that it's going to be a busy day, but how about I bring up what I have on the 21st? We can have sort out during the surface interval, or at the end of the day??

But still, if anyone out there has anyone contact details for MDE, I would love to know, I can't find any website for them from Google

ta

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts