YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All

Managed to acquire a number of steek tanks this weekend and am trying to find out whether they will be any use for diving. They came from a guy in the fire service so I must admit that I have my doubts. They are also all out of test.

There are two 7-litre Heisers that are marked

BS5045/1/CM/S

and are also stamped with the word AIR. These are fitted with MDE Din valves, I was thinking about getting these tested and using them as stages, or to make a twinset.

There are also a number of 5-litre Saber cylinders that are also fitted with Saber din valves. These also have the same markings as the 7s.

I guess my main question is whether tanks with these markings can ever be used for scuba? The BS mark is the same as my pony, but I guess that the Sabre valves may need changing?

Also, whilst the tanks are stamped "AIR", they are not at all new and I can't imagine that they were produced under the new Regulations. Can they be cleaned and made suitable for Nitrox use?

Thanks in advance all! Oh, and happy Xmas

Regards

Andy Bloss

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

If they're stamped "AIR" then they can't be used for anything else unless you mix your own gases, AIUI.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Unless they have a current test stamp then no dive shop will touch them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

The plan was to get them tested and 02 cleaned if necessary. I was under the impression that at least the Heisers could be 02 cleaned since they have (admittedly old) Nitrox stickers on them already.

The guy that we bought them from is a technical diver of some note and had been using them all as stage cylinders. He was able to do this since he had access to his own trimix compressors and so could pretty much do what he wanted though. Anyone else got any thoughts??

ta

Andy

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

If you get them tested (and they pass!) then there should be no problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bloss

I used fire brigade bottles for years, in fact I still have one 10L in test but needs a new pillar valve.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Should be good to go, the Heisers aren't bad tanks at all. If you get them tested and cleaned they'll be fine, and you won't have trouble getting a fill.

PM me if you've got any tapered thread DIN valves, I might well have them off you.

Digs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts