YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well, today was a nice day, flat sea, sunny.

Took the boys out for a quick fishing trip travelling 10 miles up coast, went close to the beach & peir so they can wave to nan at work

Bewteen some groynes, a motor cruiser was moored up, so we went for a closer look UNTIL we see a little white boat with someone in a YELLOW shirt waving for us to come to him.

When we get to the boat , which was a little 8 foot rowing boat with 2 teenagers in , they were also on a fishing trip, until thier anchor ran short of rope and drifted over 3 miles. SO , we put them on tow and took them back to the beach plot , they came off.

NO LIFEJACKETS.
NO MOBILE PHONE.
NO FLARES.
ANCHOR AND WARP, NOT EVEN GOOD FOR A 6 METER SHOTLINE.
BOTH JUST DRESSED IN T-SHIRTS & SHORTS

ALthough both were cold,and knackered trying to row against 2 kts of tide, they were lucky that one of my boys spotted them.
Local coastguard were informed, just in case this row boat was stolen off the beach,,,,,,,, but was advised to give them a safety lecture,,,,,,,,,,, WHICH . Stevie and Jamie ( RNLI Stormforce members ) gave with pride, although i heard the eldest one use the 'F' word

Roll on the weekend , nice weather and great VIZ

ANdy

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Imported post

Well done Andy...two lives probably saved. Although it sounds like the elder of the two should have been towed a little further off shore and set a drift

Just a thought, as you contacted the Coastguard...would they have logged that as an emergency call ?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well-in Andy mate! And cheers to your lads too - keeping eyes-on (chips off the old block, eh?
)

Hopefully these two 'Holiday Hornblowers' have learnt a valuable lesson and let's hope they took note of the safety lecture - otherwise, they're a future incident looking for a venue!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Scuba Dog

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just a thought, as you contacted the Coastguard...would they have logged that as an emergency call ?
As i'm WELL known down here in all the RESCUE services, i would assume it went down as ' HELP ASSISTED ', but as i didn't know the boat , or boats name or the 2 LOCAL kids, i didn't know if they have seen it on the beach and decided to nick it, worst still, capsize it and let it drift , causing £ 000's of wasted RESCUE services money and time.

PROG

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would have claimed salvage on their boat to stop the little twastards doing it again.
YOU WOULD  
   EVEN though i'm a poor charter boat skipper , trying to earn a good days wage, i wasn't perpared to claim the old rule of  ' SHIP & CARGO ' salvage rights of a 1/3 of total vaule.....as counting out 33p would have been more time wasted  

BREN

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well-in Andy mate! And cheers to your lads too - keeping eyes-on (chips off the old block, eh? )
Well, as soon as we got home , the boys wrote a e:mail to STORMY STAN @ RNLI HQ,POOLE saying how they saved the lifeboat from launching, quite a in depth report was given

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Good one Andy. People in boats not knowing what they're doing is so dangerous.....like the Dover lifeboat getting those guys from London who were out at 5am in thick fog....lost.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good one Andy. People in boats not knowing what they're doing is so dangerous.....like the Dover lifeboat getting those guys from London who were out at 5am in thick fog....lost.
5 Lifeboats

Ramsgate x 2
Walmer x 2
Dover

All at sea searching in the fog for a 5 mt DORY type vessel lost in fog bewteen Dover and Ramsgate, boat launched at 0500 to do some fishing before work at lunch time........ reports to the coastguard was that he launched from DOVER and went North..

At 13:10, lifeboats were back at stations as the poor man was late for work and sat in a pub at EASTBOURNE    

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ April 22 2004,19:04)]Roll on the weekend , nice weather and great VIZ
Andy,

You had to go and say it, didn't you! I'll expect about 6 inches then - yes, I am talking abt the vis.

From what I saw off Plymouth it looks like the May Bloom is beginning (s/b renamed the April Bloom).

I am diving from my mates boat on Sat on our favourite mark off Bexhill - known as "The Spike". I'm hoping my favourite lobster will be back so I can go and say hello. I'll be really cross if some git has had it away.

About 3 or 4 years ago, just after he had found this mark (only abt a mile offshore and 16 mtrs deep we had a fantastic dive there. We had already done THE dive elsewhere and only had about 40 bar left in our single 12s (small boat) so we thought we would run over the Spike to check the GSP position.

Anyway the sea was flat calm and is was a beautiful sunny day so we thought we'd drop down for a quick look. The other two with us were feeling a bit green (tarts) and elected not go in again.

We dropped down the anchor line to be greeted by 10 mtrs vis with the sunlight reaching the sea bed (never seen it like that before or since). My mate loves his seafood and I could see the whites of his eyes as he spotted the crabs and lobsters. He went straight for a crab under an overhang without even noticing the 6' conger behind it! It must have been breeding time because there were thousands of tiny little tiddlers all over the place and shoals of pollack etc cruising past. We only got about 10 minutes BUT what a magical dive that was. I will never forget that one and no I did not imagine it.

Bryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts