YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I'm considering signing up for the TDI cavern course with Martyn Farr in the Brecon Beacons for a 2 day cavern or overhead environment course.

Has anyone been on this course and what did they think about it. One consideration is the cost of £325 for a two day course. It does sound really interesting and I do harber thoughts of possibly taking it further if I'm comfortable and enjoy it.

Does this course live up to the ideas I have about it & also will it help with my other diving i.e wreck penetration.

thanks

gareth davies  

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hi, did a cavern tdi course 3 or 4 years ago, but in Minorca, slightly different conditions!
It was enough to kick start a jaded club style diving record into new life.
Do it, you will thoroughly enjoy it, there is a whole lot of new gear/techniques out there.

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Imported post

Hi, only heard good things about martin's courses though a bit expensive (due to1 to 1 instr/student? if so ,fine). Ask about combining an intro to cave at the same time-adds extra days and covers a lot more regarding kit (cavern can be on a single). Also are you thinking of cave diving abroad? A tdi card wont get you in some of the florida sites so if you want to do this you'll need an Iantd or NACD/NSS cert (tdi's not associated with the nacd or nss and have a poor image over there). Also if you are going to dive in florida or the like ,the inside of a black welsh mountain might put you off before you start whereas 50m vis and 21degrees C in a florida spring will put a big smile on your face;0)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Only spoken briefly to Martyn so far. The course ratio is 2:1. Yes the introduction is on singles.

He says  Quote "This is the foundation, the base level entry course, and provides a closely supervised introduction to diving in overhead environments, with many new skills being taught. Divers will be introduced to the underground world using equipment configurations with which they are familiar. "

As for the viz I'm more than used to diving in the uk, with poor or near zero viz for some or all of dive. It makes all the good dives more enjoyable. As to diving in florida, if I enjoy the cave diving as much as I've enjoyed ocean, then I will consider it (and Dordogne).

Thanks for advice

gareth

·
Registered
23 Posts
Imported post

Hi Reeve, you will get a lot from the course-if you can do the skills over here, france or florida will seem a whole lot easier. Although trust me, zero vis in a cave is VERY different to in the ocean-and being tied up  in your line and having your light turned off makes for a new meaning of fun! Seriously, even if you dont do on to cave dive it will give your whole diving a boost and you'll never trust your kit again;)

let us know how it goes-I've gone to florida to train to cave dive both sidemount and with the inspirtion and I'm just starting to do some over here after 'dry' caving for a couple of years.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Jon or anyone.

Can I please have some info from you guys on the TDI thing. If it's not recognised in the States then why? Should I bother or can it be converted by CDG membership etc.

Who did you do your cavern / cave couses with & which organisation certified you. It's not an issue if I don't go and do cave diving, but had a problem post BSAC nitrox SDC's having to convert them to TDI to do ERD etc, and don't want to be repeating courses again.

thx g.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hi Reeve, I did cavern tdi, cave iantd---same excellent instructor, Martin Robson.
I am not sure if tdi do a full cave qual, I am sure someone here knows though.
Also there is good cdg input here, they will know how their qual card travels in the US.
If I was you, I would go ahead with the course in Wales.
If you go on to cave diving you can worry about politics later.
Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reeve @ Jan. 11 2004,18:37)]Jon or anyone.

Can I please have some info from you guys on the TDI thing. If it's not recognised in the States then why? Should I bother or can it be converted by CDG membership etc.

Who did you do your cavern / cave couses with & which organisation certified you. It's not an issue if I don't go and do cave diving, but had a problem post BSAC nitrox SDC's having to convert them to TDI to do ERD etc, and don't want to be repeating courses again.

thx g.
<font color='#8D38C9'>The TDI course is not recognised by the CDG but there again neither is any other - though any course probably helpful towards CDG Qualified Diver assessment it is not a fast track to CDG qualification.  CDG qualifications are widely accepted in the US/Mexico.

I'll ask about TDI in the US/Mexico.  In the UK for insurance cover you need to be in the CDG or under your instructor's commercial insurance for access to some sites.

Duncan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Gareth,

I was down for the course with Martyn last year but he put his back out and had to postpone.

The buddy I was to be with has since done the course and I am looking for a buddy for the course in April/May time. Are you interested in linking up with me to do the course.

I have written to Martyn to ask what dates suit him, around that time, and I'll let you know to see if that suits you.

He still has my deposit so I'm a cert for the course but it takes a bit of planning for me as I have to travel back to the UK from Luxembourg and it's a bit of a logitical effort with all the gear...ie I have to drive over and that takes a day.

Let me know what you think.

Regards.

Graham

·
Registered
23 Posts
Imported post

Hi Reeve, the TDI thing in the states amounts to some of the sites being owned or controlled by the NSS or NACD. They only allow access to thier members or to people with certs that they recognise (IANTD is fine-dont know about CDG but probably fine as highly respected over there). There are a lot a politics going on about TDI standards in the US and this is why the TDI 'full cave' cert wont get you in all the sites. Don't let this stop you, although for the same or lees money you could do the course in the US with a UK instr. As mentioned Martin Robson at Eau2 is superb (the only NACD instr. in UK,IANTD cave instructer trainer,CCR cave instr trainer etc,etc...) I've done my Cave,CCR cave and sidemount with him and highly reccomend. £500 or so  will give you cavern and intro to cave (and a weeks holiday while you do it)
Food for thought.....

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jon B @ Jan. 12 2004,16:23)]Hi Reeve, the TDI thing in the states amounts to some of the sites being owned or controlled by the NSS or NACD. They only allow access to thier members or to people with certs that they recognise (IANTD is fine-dont know about CDG but probably fine as highly respected over there). There are a lot a politics going on about TDI standards in the US and this is why the TDI 'full cave' cert wont get you in all the sites....
<font color='#8D38C9'>I can confrim that many sites are NSS-CDS and NACD only (not even GUE).  Though the CDG card seems to do nicely even there.

A correspondent has put me onto the TDI Cave/Cavern head honcho in the US and I'll get more information from him.

Duncan

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Duncan,

Thanks for you information. I look forward to reading the response from your contact in the states when it arrives.

Graham,

See your PM looks like we could be on for something in early May.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Thanks for the PM....sent you a reply....hopefully we can work something out.

Cheers for now.

Graham

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>From the course director for TDI's overhead program and training director for NACD:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]From: Larry Green
To: Duncan Price
Sent: 17 January 2004 02:11
Subject: Re: TDI Cave/Cavern Qualifications in Fl/Mex

There are no sites that I am aware of that do not accept TDI cave certification.
TDI's cave standards are among the most stringent standards in the industry.
larry green
tdi hq
Duncan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts