YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I did the basic TDI nitrox course last April and I am still waiting for the cert card.
The diving centre blames TDI and vice versa, have others had problems getting their cards.

If it is only a problem with this one particular diving centre (who shall remain nameless) I feel reluctant to continue to do the advanced course with them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

I just done four TDI courses in the Philippines and on returning the certs were on the door matt which was less than 2 weeks, quicker than PADI thats for sure, I think the dive centre should be named as its a lot of money to fork out and not get certified, or maybe TDI are getting there act together, who knows?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul, long time no hear mate....

Four TDI courses in the Phillipines bugger me (thats not an offer) there has to be a multipage report on that little lot... c'mon man tell the public more... I'm personally gagging to hear it.

Dave.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Dude,

Believe me when I say that when something like this happens, it is ALWAYS a cock-up between the centre that taught you and the Agency (TDI in this case) that offers the certs. My advice would be to go direct to TDI and rattle their cage about it. Something to do with 'Monkey and Organ-grinder', if you catch my drift.

And yes Paul!! Where's the dive trip reports for your Philly Sojourn?? Your viewing public awaits!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave,
Yes its been a long time, but Ive been a bit on the busy side with work ect..Ill have to have a dive with you guys soon.
as for the TDI stuff in the "Philippines" I did Adv nitrox, deco procedures, entry level trimix and advanced wreck penitration, with Ronald Loos & John Bennett as my instuctors who were top draw, the wreck course had a total of 13 hours bottom time on some fantastic wrecks in Subic bay and it was all deep penitration stuff which got a bit scary at times to say the least, but I would recommend it to anyone who wants to go down that road.
The other courses were done in Sabang, Which is where I meet YD very own Gav and Fi(hi) who were having a ball from what I saw although Fi did have a few mozzi bites like myself.
If you havent been to the Philippines I would recommend it to anyone, it gets bad press I know, but Sabang and Subic are really safe friendly places and the diving is fantastic I think there are only 8 speices of coral that dont exist there, sorry Ive gone in to travel agent mode,"holiday blues" :sad:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Wowwwwwww.... slurp.. oops sorry... messed all over me keyboard..... man that sounds like heaven, please Paul as soon as you get the time and inclination to do it please hammer out a blow by blow report of at least what you can remember...

p.s. I'd love to know what that whole path cost you, if that's not too rude a question although I expect it is... :}

regards and hope to read more very soon
Dave.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Paul - good to see you back me old son. Then again I wish I was back in Puerta Galera - there three inches of snow up here today.

Anyway - give us a shout when yer up for a dip. I might be in your neck of the woods this weekend.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I would imagine it's something to do with the diving centre in question, I got my TDI cert card from Andy Hayhurst within a matter of days of sending off the exam
Chee-az
Steve

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Im the same as steve w, done certs with both TDI and SDI and they have been really quick, even at xmas. maybe you have been given the run around??!!  Give TDI an email to chase them.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

This dive centre wouldent be a puddle near Stains by any chance would it? I did my advanced with them back in December and was chaseing up for my card till last Friday. I asked them to post them out but got very negitive they will be lost in the post replys. I isnsited and they agreed to post them. A week later still no cards so I asked a M8 to pop in, and sure enough he got my card they still hadent posted it >

These are the same people who took three months from paying my deposit to sending me the manual and then it turned up with no stamp on it so I had to go down to the post office and pay the postage. >

When I turned up for the course on the pre arranged date they didnt know I was comming and had no course litrature?? We also did no dives that day as the instructor had to go out after lunch??  

My instuctor was a nice enough bloke but admited he did most of his diving in the Red Sea. Two trips out to the container were all the dives they required for the course. Not Impressed AT ALL.

As a dive site its cheep and convenient but dont expect much from the Advanced Nitrox course. If you just want the ticket its OK but if you want to be put through your paces go elswhere.

I went with Paul Marks for my deco procedures and Trimix. He is good and a nice bloke. He is in High Wycomb catch him on www.aquanaut.org.uk

Mark Chase

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

As has been said before on this thread - it's not the course it's the instructor that matters.

I did my Adv Nitrox with Andy Hayhurst along with many others from these parts and learned more in two days generally than I had since starting. Not about Nitrox particularly but kit arrangement, trim, anti-panic techniques, DSMB deployment etc.

Find a decent instructor and you can't go wrong IMHO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave sorry for the late reply, forgot Id even posted on here,
p.s. I'd love to know what that whole path cost you, if that's not too rude a question although I expect it is... :}
not rude at all mate , it cost me &#361500 for the lot and about &#36250 of that was for helium which is expensive out there, about the only thing that is( beer 35p  **** under £3 for 200 and the women, best stop there) the flight was £360 for a month rtn with qatar airways. It took 2 weeks for the course`s so I had 2 weeks to play with.
I wanted to do these course`s anyway apart from the wreck, I got talked in to that one, but must say Im glad I did it. So I got a free holiday, if you look at the prices over here
I love it out there been 4 times now and have a serious case of the blues at the moment, thats why Im on this fcukin keyboard so much. sorry if Ive gone over kill there, but I really miss the place:cry:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Kin ell mate that seems incredibly cheap.. I was sure you were a drug baron or secret arms dealer to be affording such luxury's but in reality it was all quite affordable.

Well done mate.... oh to be free and single again.. whoops I hope our lass isn't reading this..

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Wow,
Got my TDI cert card today, did course last April.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I did my Adv Nitrox with Andy Hayhurst along with many others from these parts and learned more in two days generally than I had since starting. Not about Nitrox particularly but kit arrangement, trim, anti-panic techniques, DSMB deployment etc.
Would you care to explain the anti panicc techniques please. This sounds interesting

B Garner

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Self-explanitory really ...

What to do if shit hits fan. Try and visualise potential problems in advance, find technique to correct, practise technique.

If you are suitably prepared then you "shouldn't" panic.

Also methods of slowing breathing down etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts