YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Did the TDI Nitrox course on holiday and enjoyed it - quick, cheap and good course material.  Dived nitrox, and reaped the benefits, for the rest of the week. Happy camper.

Enjoyed it so much that I'm now toying with the idea of progressing to the Advanced nitrox and Deco courses, again with TDI.  Does anyone have an opinion of TDI as a means of progressing training?  As good as others? IANTD etc?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Well I'm obviously biased cos my instructor has become a very close friend but that doesn't detract from the fact that he's very very good... Andy Hayhurst TDI Trimix Instructor Trainer... highly recommended and not just by myself.

You can contact Andy on 07702 819381..

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I've gone, going TDI, seem to be very complete with there information and I'm getting a severe kicking on the basic Trimix course. If you do your advance nitrox, get them to combine it with the deco procedures, the two independantly seem a bit of a waste of time.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Hoping to do the TDI Adv. 'trox with Andy soon - poss during the O2 course weekend but yet to call him and sort the details - anyone gonna see Andy this weekend?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Mdemon on 10:25 pm on Jan. 23, 2003
 Does anyone have an opinion of TDI as a means of progressing training?  As good as others? IANTD etc?
<span =''>

Why not do the GUE Tech 1 now that it is available in the UK? It's the best course available for what you want (from the best agency).

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Good to see TDI gets a positive response!

AndyP - they were offering the combined Adv Nitrox/Deco for &#36500 USD on holiday.  That's partly what got me interested in further training, so a combo seems like a good idea.  I'm down in Devon - anyone know of TDI training happening down here?

Mark - I'm open to checking GUE Tech 1 out.  Do you have a link?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Click the Global Underwater Explorers link in my signature then look for 'classroom' and then Tech 1.

I did my TDI advanced nitrox & deco procedures courses with Izzy from Underwater Explorers in Portland. If you want to stick with TDI you should talk to him (particularly as Portland is not that far from Devon). He is an excellent instructor and teaches very good, up to the minute stuff (if that's what you want). See the link for DIS-UK.

HTH.

Mark

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Driftwood on 11:18 pm on Jan. 23, 2003
Hoping to do the TDI Adv. 'trox with Andy soon - poss during the O2 course weekend but yet to call him and sort the details - anyone gonna see Andy this weekend?
<span =''>
I mailed Andy recently on a couple of things  but as yet had no reply, did I recently hear someone say he was out of the country at the moment?
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

I had started with the basic Nitrox and the following year I went for the adv and deco. Just as a comparison, here in Canada it cost me about &#36500 for the last two (combined) but I paid for the boat and gas = about &#36200 more. I enjoyed it immensely and the practical part was stretched over 3 days of diving. We did most of the course on different wrecks and also drift diving in the St Lawrence River.

One thing that surprised me is that we only went down to 45m. I taught that with so much planning we would do deeper dives. Later on I got to utilize the course for deeper and longer deco dives. I heard that with the adv and the deco combined one could go to basic trimix

Cheers

Lawrence

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

I recognise Izzy's name from the DIS UK e-group - I'll see where Portland is on the map...

Looked at the GUE stuff - quite surprised actually. The course seems to cover a lot - much more than the other agencies, and the US price seems quite competitive.  Have you done this course as well as the TDI stuff, Mark?  

Do you have to be DIR to do the course, or will they let any old stroke in?!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Hold on one sec!!!! Before you get hooked on the TDI (or any sort of course) on this side of the pond make sure you can convert feet to meters and PSI to Bars. I use the METRIC system but had to jump around as the rest of the class was used old measurements. They are stuck with the old system and a lot are happy with that (I'm not). By the way those prices are Canadian &#36 not US green. I think ours is about half your pond, right?

I was a bit lucky because my instructor took the extra time to check my metric answers.

Good luck

Lawrence

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Hi

GUE is the DIR agency so I quess it would help immensely if you were very close before doing the course. Normally a Tech 1 student would attend the DIR-Fundementals course first then go away and practice/develop their skills prior to doing the course. For Tech 1 equipment has to be correct and so does fitness, attitude, in-water skills (bouyancy, trim, shutdown drills, fin techniques etc.), pre-course reading etc...

I have not done the course my self yet, but I am in March (The 1st Tech 1 ever run in the UK). I'm currently getting prepared! I'm swimming every other day for fitness and I have finally given up my filthy smoking habit (over two weeks gone and no going back
I quite like the idea of having to put in a considerable amount of effort in order to achieve full DIR status. Meeting the course entry requirements was not straight forward (due to smoking and fitness) but I've done it

I'll let you know how I get after the course (If you like).  

The course does cover a lot as it will take you from no nitrox to advanced nitrox (100% for deco), triox (normoxic trimix)and blending all in five days. I think that the teamwork, situational awareness and problem management skills that are taught on the course will be the most important though (and the triox).

Dive safe

Mark.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

Law D - Did my TDI course in Red Sea, so all in metres.  I think most of us are pretty much "bi-lingual" here in UK now, so metres is probably best for us too.  I still drink pints though!

Mark, good luck with the course, and I'd love to know how you get on.  I'm a bit intrigued as to how they assess your fitness?  Unfortunately, I don't think I could go DIR - too happy with my stroke stuff and too cheap to buy new DIR-compatible stuff!  But interested nonetheless - always open to new ideas.  Congrats on binning the weed, by the way - that'll pay for a new Halcyon backplate in a few months...!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Hi all

Ive herard that the GUE courses in the uk are not reconised by the HSE ? and most if not all agencys dont reconise the trainig, is this true ??

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Simon - I got a mail the other day saying that GUE HAD been accepted by HSE.

I might have been misinformed but I don't think so.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Not true. GUE is now HSE recognised and GUE-UK will start operating as of March, all will be revealed at LIDS. JJ and Andrew G. will be there for the official launch and will then proceed to teach me and a load of other lucky buggers on our courses.

Not sure how you figure that other agencies don't recognise the training. It would really show the level of their ignorance. GUE who?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Mark

I'm EXTREMELY interested in any information you wish to pass on, being taught Tech 1 by JJ himself and Andy G both of whom I've heard are excellent teachers.... don't suppose it gets any better then that eh?? ;)

BTW mate brilliant work on wrapping in the ciggy's I'm an ex smoker of 5 years now and I know just how hard it is to kick... I'm impressed big stylee :thumb:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Dave,

there may still be a place available on Tech 1 if you're interested. If you are, get in touch with Andy Kerslake.

I'd better get my hair cut before the course 'cause Andrew.G takes loads of pics of his courses and puts them on the FithD web site - lol

The GUE course has been a major carrot in my quitting smoking - as it's something I really want to do. Any reason is a good reason to quit though, particularly if you dive. I still get the odd craving but I'm over the worst of it. Phew!

Dive safe.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Mark, I thought DIRF was a pre-requisite for Tech 1, or am I confused?

Whereabouts on FifthD I'd like to check them out... the streaming videos of the skill sets/finning techniques etc from that site are a real bonus, I just wish they were bigger than a bloody postage stamp.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts