YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. After successfully completing our Trimix Course at the weekend, we thought it was worth a write up. One of my first.. so be nice!

After a lot of time with Barry trying to persuade me to do my TDI Trimix course, and 2 previously cancelled weekends, we finally got around to getting on with it over a rainy bank holiday weekend at Chepstow. A weekend where things went very smoothly in the water at least…!

Once again we did the course with Ross Finlayson of Active Diving, with whom we have previously done our Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures and Advanced wreck courses.

The weekend started with the level of out of water success that we ended up being used to. With motorway being at their usual bank holiday levels we were glad to stop for the traditional KFC bucket of chicken... Although Barry driving straight past the Chepstow turning of the M48 and adding an extra 20 miles to the journey probably did not help start the weekend. It was good to arrive at Parkfield B&B, somewhere we would recommend to anyone (courtesy of recommendations from YD members... thanks!), and get on with the obligatory boring paperwork that crops up before all courses.

Day 1 started with a Full Irish Breakfast, courtesy of Eliz at the B&B and away we went with the start of the diving, a 40m dive on air and some skills dives. With the 40m dive going scarily smoothly, although we could definitely feel the effects of the depths, we cracked on with the day’s skills. With Ross laying a line down we set about the various mask off, stage removal and replacement, broken post and out of air scenarios he threw at us and the ascent skills working at double stage switches and lost deco gas procedures.
With the diving finished we lugged our kit back up to the car park before heading back to Parkfield to crack on with some more of the theory and planning our dive for the next day and getting to the local pub for a feed.

Day 2 started well – getting our fills in. A 50m dive on 21/35 with 50% deco followed by more skills. The deep dive went to plan and the difference the helium makes to the END was made obvious.. leaving us very clear heads. Coming up the line to the 9m stop is where things started to go a little wrong for Barry. To help him decide who gets to have the fun, Ross got his wet notes out and I gave Barry a pasting at a game of Noughts and Crosses, meaning that he had the pleasure of finish the dive and ascent with no mask. This then got a little worse for Barry, with it turning out he had lost the protective cover on his computer and the mouth-piece off his Low Pressure Inflator hose…. followed by having his mask returned and promptly dropping it. To take this to the next level, while leaning over to lift his stage out, it slipped out of his grasp. A forlorn figure stood at the edge of the pontoon watching his shiny stage slide gently into the depths of Chepstow. Ross was good enough to shoot down to retrieve it prior to the skills dives, finding it sat at 20m a mere foot away from the shelf and it dropping down to 50m.
Fortunately the dramas out of the water did not reflect in the water for the day’s skills, getting on with more deco skills demonstrating buddy breathing and more lost deco procedures before ploughing on with more stage switches and re-stowing at various depths on a hover. With these finally out the way we went for a little look around, staying very close to my buddy with a nasty feeling from experience that we knew what Ross was going to throw at us. Never one to disappoint Ross got on with throwing multiple failures our way much to the amusement, I am sure, of the GUE divers just above us sat 45 mins into their 6m hover on a fundies course. Being my turn to lose my mask I did not feel it worthwhile even reaching for my spare one, knowing full well that it might just “fall off” as well, so Barry and I got on with it and dealt with the various other problems.

Day 3 and the final dive ahead of us, a 60m dive on a 20/35 mix with switches to 50% and 80% to complete the course we got our dives planned and tins in. Once again our out of water curse got to us with Barry and I tag teaming having to go up the hill and back for a left computer, a broken o-ring to replace and a lost weight belt. Ross even got in on the act briefly by initially putting his stages on the wrong way around. I think that the prize went to myself for not noticing that for some reason I had turned off my dry suit inflation and getting quite a squeeze on the way down. With the dramas out of the way we got on with another successful dive. Chepstow gave us a good induction to the depth with stunning visibility and while there was not a lot to see down there it was a very picturesque sight diving along the wall. Cracking on with the ascent it went very smoothly all the way up with both switches and SMB deployment going well. The long 6m stop was broken up nicely with Barry practicing his backwards finning and ploughing head first into the trapeze.

Another great course, well worth the effort, and very well delivered once again by Ross. Now we have the pleasure of looking for some dives and with a trip to Scapa Flow already booked for August a lot of great diving to look forward to!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congratulations mate.

I didn't quite get to Chepstow on the Saturday and decided I'd have a picnic by the side of the road instead(!).

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
much to the amusement, I am sure, of the GUE divers just above us sat 45 mins into their 6m hover on a fundies course.
to be fair, they probably didn't even notice you were there, they had enough on their plates. I, however, thought you all looked quite relaxed and cool :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And it takes a lot to make no mask diving look cool. When you have it.... Let me know where it is?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts