YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Here is a report on our recent dives out of Weymouth on Smudge and Helena’s boat Scimitar.

At 04.45am on Saturday morning I started the round robin pick up of 3 intrepid members from Heanor SAC who were joining me and other Yorkshire Divers for an Easter weekend of top diving on some subs and the Sky. My mob were Mike ‘’carry on up the Khyber’’ Bull, Mickey ’’no fins’’ Arben and ‘’Sad’’ Jack Golds.

In a cruel twist of fate we were christened ‘’Team gay Northern bas*ards’’ by the cruel and vindictive dark lord Chunderfish, for no good reason other than the fact that we were staying at the YMCA and that Bully is a dead ringer for Kenneth Williams and does teapot impressions :rolleyes:

A fantastic journey down except for the fun bus getting pulled over in Weymouth by the Police, after a chat and a checking of identification we were sent on our way.

We arrived at the YMCA and were relieved to find very nice clean rooms with no builders or red Indians in sight.

Off to the marina where we met up with Smudge, Chunderfish, 7 of Fi, Nick B, Tootricky and the Duck + 3 whose names I’ve forgotten :embarasse.

We were looked after by Alice aka Alison aka Kanga who kept us full of hot drinks, after catching up and shooting the breeze, we arrived at the site to find 2 other boats already shotted in so Smudge put his by the bridge so we started to kit up.

On entering th’water it was evident that the viz was going to be poor so we had already decided I was going to reel off with my pink lined Kent tooling wreck reel, I’m glad we did as the viz was less than a metre.

After a BT of 25 mins at a max of 31.5m we turned around, and this is where our dive became interesting, as we neared the end we came across a couple of divers caught up in our line and oblivious to us, one kicked me in the face dislodging my mask.
When I had replaced it and composed myself the divers were gone, and horror of horrors our line had been cut, I doubt it was by accident as it was still tied off at both points and cut in the middle, luckily it was a short tie off and we made our way out, blobbed off and started our ascent.

After a dive time of 1 hour we surfaced to find out that **** had lost both his fins at 20m in a few seconds of each other and Jack had lost his torch.

The lunch on board were pasties and donuts which we were allowed to eat when Dianne had had her fill ;)

Second dive was the landing craft and bombardon unit in the harbour.

After unloading the gear and dropping off our bottles at the dive shop we went back to the YMCA to shower and change before finding somewhere to eat. As most of the pubs had stopped serving food at 8pm we ended up having a candlelit meal in a delightful bistro, unfortunately this did nothing to enhance our manful status :D

Dive 3 the M2, we had new [late ;)] arrivals of Jo and Dave Crampton. Again I was forced to sit next to Dianne who despite being small but perfectly formed, takes up a f’kin enormous amount of bench space, thus I was unable to finish kitting up to beat them to the hangar :D

Out of my group I am the only one who had dived her before so was looking forward to showing them around it, unfortunately fate, viz and my slow brain conspired to thwart our plans.
I lost Bully a few minutes into the dive but assumed his torch had failed as I could only see his strobe, silently cursing the fact that I couldn’t see him despite my trying I was comforted by the strobe, it was only after catching a glimpse in my quantum screen I found out that Bully’s strobe was in fact my own that had been accidentally turned on underwater for the first time ever :embarasse

I immediately started my ascent and was relieved to see him already on board. The strobe has now been demoted to the kit box of shame.

After much ribbing and lunch we readied for the 2nd dive on the James Fennel. Bully and I were joined on this dive by the cruel and vindictive half of Team Tourettes :p despite missing the wreck entirely Di was given a lesson on the awesome power of the force fin and how dangerous they can be on the feet of the unworthy.

As we got back to harbour late we decided to go straight out for a meal with Team Tourettes who entertained us with their squabbling.

New faces for monday included GLOC and Osama to bolster Team Tourettes, and saw a change from the P.555 to the Sidon, this with the best viz of the trip thus far.
Sidon is an excellent sub with loads of holes to explore, unless you are a member of Team Tourettes who entertained themselves by circling the wreck many times frightening unsuspecting divers with their light sabres ‘’like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights’’ the recently blinded Sad Jack was heard to remark ;)

Lunch again saw Dianne foregoing her traditional pies and donuts for the GUE approved snacks.

Last dive of the trip was the Royal Adelaide off Chesil beach which saw Alice taking a dip in what is probably the worst hood ever created :D

Our arrival in port was delayed as we helped search for a couple rowing in a small kids dinghy, when found they declined our help but I was impressed that it was the young lady who was doing all the rowing.

Back in port goodbyes were said and the kit was loaded so we decided to paint the town red, but as we were all knackered we settled for beige.

Finally a few thanks. firstly to Smudge and Alice for looking after us, I would recommend diving with Smudge off Scimitar without hesitation, a top skipper and operation. Thanks a lot mate I’ll definitely be back later in the year.

Secondly thanks to everyone I met over the trip, I imagine this kind of thing is what Jay and Andy envisaged when they created YD. A place where people who talk about diving can actually meet up and dive together.

Long may it continue.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
After a dive time of 1 hour we surfaced to find out that **** had lost both his fins at 20m in a few seconds of each other and Jack had lost his torch.

I imagine this kind of thing is what Jay and Andy envisaged when they created YD. A place where people who talk about diving can actually meet up and dive together.

Long may it continue.

Safe diving,
Steve

Oh my god, what kind of ambassadours(SP?) are you for HSAC?

Although i haven't been on a YD trip yet (because you deliberately organise them around my "on duty" days) I have to agree with the latter part of this quote!

Nice one!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Nice to see you again Steve. We were slightly late as there was heavy traffic on the way into Weymouth. I saw your strobe on BEFORE you entered the water on the first dive and just figured this is what you normally do... :)

Top moment of the day for me was the young lad sat next to me, pointing out that there was a slight hissing from behind me, and then looking puzzled as I said 'oh yes that'll be fine'.

Thumbs up to Paul (The Duck) for guiding us to the slip on the other side of the bridge so we could board to join the group. Guiding us round the M2 (I hope to see the Conning Tower next time :D). Then for finding the anchor on the second dive.

It was lovely to se 7 of Fi, and Dianne too. Cheers to Jo who drove me around and then buddied me on the dives.
Dave C

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Glad you guys had fun....wish I could have joined you....but then again...with my luck it's probably best I didnt LOL

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to see you again Steve. We were slightly late as there was heavy traffic on the way into Weymouth. I saw your strobe on BEFORE you entered the water on the first dive and just figured this is what you normally do ... :)

Likewise mate, I figured afterwards it had been turned on when I got my strap twisted and Bully ''helped me'' with his smurf gloves on ;)

If I ever use it again I'll have to put a sign 'for night time surface use only' next to it :D

Safe diving,
Steve

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Bully ''helped me'' with his smurf gloves on ;)

Safe diving,
Steve
The danger signs were there, remember the last time he "helped" you :teeth:

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The danger signs were there, remember the last time he "helped" you :teeth:
Vaguely, but my shrink has been working very hard to repress it :D

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Steve I am deeply offended when did Dianne and I become Team Tourettes :frown:

and I thought you lot were Team Tw*T

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
So did I Fiona, so did I..............

Dianne

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve I am deeply offended when did Dianne and I become Team Tourettes :frown:

and I thought you lot were Team Tw*T
When Di drank the diet coke :) sorry if your offended would Team chocolate monkey be better? :D

Safe diving,
Steve

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
We are not a team or a number we are individuals :D
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated ;)

Great report Steve, sounds like a great weekend :)

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
Doing Weymouth this weekend and Monday. Weymouth virgin. Hope this viz is better. I will be first to the M2 hangar.... I will be first to the M2 hangar.... I will be first to the M2 hangar.... I will be first to the M2 hangar.........

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doing Weymouth this weekend and Monday. Weymouth virgin. Hope this viz is better. I will be first to the M2 hangar.... I will be first to the M2 hangar.... I will be first to the M2 hangar.... I will be first to the M2 hangar.........
It was improving everyday so hopefully you'll have a good 'un.........especially if you are in the hangar first :)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts

but .... its a designated wreck now...... your not supposed to enter the wreck and the hanger is technically inside....:angel:

I'll get me coat and run off for a bit :teeth:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good to meet you all in a diving context (rather than a virtual one). Hope you'll venture back for better viz - it can be great, honest!

Many thanks to you all for making it such a fun weekend, and for bringing the weather with you. Particular appreciation to Fiona for the new shiny reel, and Dianne for reassuring me that I'm not the only one who has expensive "blonde moments". :embarassed:
alice

1 - 20 of 26 Posts