YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I see dead bubbles......
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

i am looking at going tech and would like some suggestions on kit purchase and configuration please.

i.e is single bladder ok or should it be double ???

Very new to the tech side but would like to get into the tech side as my recreational diving has reached its peak, i am MSDT with PADI and would like to eventually get into the tech instruction aswell.

Thanks all for your suggestions in advance

Julian

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Julian,

Your best option would be to get yourself on a twinset familiarisation course. Mark Powell of this ere parish runs a very good day and will bring along a whole bunch of kit (wings / Backplates etc) to let you try.

Buying the wrong kit now could prove to be a very expensive mistake.:frown:

HTH

John

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Julian,

Your best option would be to get yourself on a twinset familiarisation course. Mark Powell of this ere parish runs a very good day and will bring along a whole bunch of kit (wings / Backplates etc) to let you try.

Buying the wrong kit now could prove to be a very expensive mistake.:frown:

HTH

John
What he said.

Personally I like the Frog Midnight wing, pretty much any 2mm SS B/P and Apeks DS4/Tx50 regs. Salvo 21W 9ah primary light for when the budget can stretch to it and a couple of decent 3C backup lights until then. That's just my 2p.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Tec Kit

Make sure that you speak to somebody that knows what they are talking about, Mark Powell, Clare or John kendall will give you some excellent advice.

Personally I look like an advert for Halcyon but I love their kit.

Salvo's are brilliant in all senses of the word and difficult to beat. If your at one of the dive sites such as Vobster,NDC or Stoney normally there are some YD's about to get some views from on different types of kit.

Alternatively if your near the wonderful Wraysbury on a wednesday there are lots of people around to check out different types of kit.

300bar twins - don't think so !!! Only if your superman

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Hiya all,

i am looking at going tech and would like some suggestions on kit purchase and configuration please.

i.e is single bladder ok or should it be double ???

Very new to the tech side but would like to get into the tech side as my recreational diving has reached its peak, i am MSDT with PADI and would like to eventually get into the tech instruction aswell.

Thanks all for your suggestions in advance

Julian
It's a great question but one which is unlikely to solicit a straight forward answer.

There are a number of route to technical diving and each has its detractors and its supporters. Each route also seems to have its own particular kit configuration / "fashion".

A number of choices await you....OC or RB? Uprights, inverts, independents, Trimix or air, hog looped or stuffed long hose, stages to one side or bi-lateral, etc etc etc

DIR is probably the most stringent where kit and procedures are most tightly coupled.

A good place to start, inmy opinion, would be to read the Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski and see how much of what he has to say resonates with your own thinking.

Also have a chat with the Instructors mentioned to get further advice.

HTH
Mal

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
300bar twins - don't think so !!! Only if your superman
Get yourself to the gym then

i have two sets of 12's 300bar 1 set twin 18's and 1 set twin 20's and i'm definatly not superman but i dont have problem even with twin 18's and three stages :)

Graham

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
Hi Julian,

None of the replies so far has asked a crucial question, which is "Why?"

You say your "recreational diving has reached its peak", yet you don't say what you want to do or see next. Are your qualifications actually restricting your diving? Are there wrecks you really want to see that are in the trimix range? Do you want to go bubble-free to get closer to wildlife?

Please pause before "going tech". Think very hard about WHY you want to do it, then decide on the path you want travel.

Personally, I'm interested in why you want to be a tech instructor as it's no better an earner than recreational. Any tech instructor I've been taught by has been a diver who wanted to explore, then, after a LOT of experience, decided to try and earn a crust by teaching what they love. As a potential student I'd almost certainly reject outright any instructor if I found out they went tech simply to instruct.

Why not just go diving and carry on until there's something you really want to see? THEN mortgage your soul to the god of helium.

Regards,

Mark

PS. You've not fully absorbed the PADI system yet. I recall that CD is the pinnacle of recreational diving...

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is something that I have been thinking about too so reading the replies with interest. Just had a look for the book you mention by Jarrod Jablonski. Would like to have a read, does anyone know where I can get a copy. I usualy head straight for Amazon but it seems a little expensive there - $182 PLUS $3.99 postage! :sad:

Anyone want to lend me a copy!? :teeth:

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
This is something that I have been thinking about too so reading the replies with interest. Just had a look for the book you mention by Jarrod Jablonski. Would like to have a read, does anyone know where I can get a copy. I usualy head straight for Amazon but it seems a little expensive there - $182 PLUS $3.99 postage! :sad:

Oh come on get a decent book heres some

Mixed Gas Diving by Tom Mount and Bret Gilliam
Technical Diving from the Bottom Up by Kevin Gurr
Introduction to Technical Diving by Rob Palmer

Graham

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Alternatively if your near the wonderful Wraysbury on a wednesday there are lots of people around to check out different types of kit.
I'll be at Wraysbury tommorrow evening so if you want to come along we can have a chat about where you want to go and then some possible routes into tech diving as well as some equipment configuration options.

The same offer is open to anyone else as well.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts

Nah, you don't need that. All the info you'll need is here :D :D Vobster Quay Inland Diving

ok, ok, i'll get my coat:wink:

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Oh come on get a decent book heres some

Mixed Gas Diving by Tom Mount and Bret Gilliam
Technical Diving from the Bottom Up by Kevin Gurr
Introduction to Technical Diving by Rob Palmer

Graham
I haven't read the first one, but the second two are excellent introductions to Tech Diving IMO

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
What he said.

Personally I like the Frog Midnight wing, pretty much any 2mm SS B/P and Apeks DS4/Tx50 regs. Salvo 21W 9ah primary light for when the budget can stretch to it and a couple of decent 3C backup lights until then. That's just my 2p.

I whole heartedly agree with the above rig sugestion.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
I'll be at Wraysbury tommorrow evening so if you want to come along we can have a chat about where you want to go and then some possible routes into tech diving as well as some equipment configuration options.

The same offer is open to anyone else as well.

Grab this opportunity. Take the afternoon off sick if you have to. Marks a very forward thinking yet open minded instructor who actualy does the diving as well.

He's an ugly bastard but hey, you cant have everything :D

ATB

Mark Chase

Reactions: Mark Powell
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.