YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Right, since my successful expedition to the dive show, i now have a selection of stage cylinders to choose from.  All i need now is a chance to use them.  If people are planning trips where they are willing to drag me along and teach me all they know, i would love to come along.  Im probably still a bit green by some standards with only 100 dives to my name, but im keen as hell.  I have my dive leader, and advanced nitrox, plus all the kit.  

Anything deepish, where i can use my new toys and get the experience i need with people who will check im doing it right and not going to kill myself.  I have been to 45m twice now, the majority of this years dives being around the 30m mark.  My club however thinks that nitrox is the stuff of the devil, and that beyond 30m is waaay too dangerous. Fine by me, just dont expect me to follow their example.

My only problem is transport.  As long as there is a train to get me somewhere close, i will get there.

Reply to this, email me, or PM me.
I get withdrawal symptoms if i dont get my fix.  

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imported post

Porg
If you havn't already sorted yourself, I'd be happy to dive with you. I am CCR trimix certified.
I live in the Midlands but could travel up North if you like. How about Wastwater. Needs to be a Saturday or Sunday unless you can give 3+ weeks notice.
Let me know if this helps.
Alan

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Ohhh yeah deal!  Main problem is i cant drive, but i can get more or less anywhere by rail.  I am going to be looking to do my trimix, but want to do a season with nitrox first.

Lotsa new toys to play with (stages and vytec), so anytime is good for me.  I work one saturday a month.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

You work one saturday a month! I want your job! Oh, just a sec, you work in the week too, don't you?

I don't mind coming up near your way and doing some dives. Deep Blue in the new year? It's not far from your way is it? Do the morning dive as a pair and then go off solo on the afternoon. Works well with me that way. Up to you. You've got my e-mail.

Digs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>I'm interested in your last posting. Why not? Please tell, as I was thinking of using them in the new year

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I liked them. They drive a taxi, little else. They're good at that, but as you say, I wouldn't trust them to boil an egg. Cookery probably isn't a strong point.

Anyway. Enough of my idle banter. Who else is worth diving with that will let me go solo if I feel like? In that neck of the woods I mean.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

digger, im in nottingham, but no transport, willing to go solo (infact if you dived with my buddy you'd say i was solo anyway!), where was you thinking of taking a dip??

chris

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Hall @ Dec. 08 2003,20:09)]I'm interested in your last posting. Why not? Please tell, as I was thinking of using them in the new year
As far as their diving goes, apparently they're not too keen on a whole bunch of divers turning up with twinsets, they reduce the max diver load (8 IIRC)  but keep the price the same

It's a well stocked shop, you can get some good bargains, but once or twice I've been stung so regard them very much in a Caveat emptor way.

If you're coming up to the North again Chris, you might also want to check out Marsden Dive Centre in South Shields. THey run a boat called The Moonshine,  which IIRC has a lift and better caters for techies , (so I've been led to believe). However, I don't like their way of tank filling, they jack them up to about 280 bar (or more!) really quickly then just leave them to cool, meanwhile you can cook your dinner on your tanks  

Chee-az
stevil
PS their webpage doesn't seem to be up today

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Chris, I'll be in touch if there's diving up this street. I don't know when I'll be in the sea again, might be towards late Feb/March.

It might be Deep Blue, I'll see how it goes. I quite liked their way of working, and they were a good laugh at least.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Here are my reasons:

1: they sold me a drysuit that doesent fit to the point that it is probably dangerous.  For the price of it i could have had a made to measure, but they wanted to sell me that one.  Remember i was a sweet an innocent trainee back then.

2: I put my first set of regs in for a service.  I got a mate who works in newcastle to pick them up for me on the weds, and give me them back on the thurs.  He was given the wrong ones.  Again me not being in the sport long, he said i was mental and they had to be mine.  They wernt.  I had to pay for parts that i can never be sure even went into my regs.

3:  I needed o rings for my DIN fitting dacor vipers.  I went in, asked for them, and i got the "duh wot" from the kid behind the counter.  Eventually he phoned his boss and got me some out of the service kits for DIN regs.  Bear it in mind they SELL dacor regs OK.  They were the wrong ones, they didnt fit and if i hadnt trusted my womans intuition and tried them on the saturday i would have missed a dive on the sunday.  I got some from the local garage instead.

4:  I killed my computer.  Not their fault at all, but my spare needed a battery so i went to them to try to get a replacement.  They were adamant that it was this battery for my puter.  WRONG, it wasnt.

Now if they cant get simple things like computer batteries and o rings right, then im never gonna trust them with my life am i??

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've got to be honest. Most of that stuff is bad, but it's in the shop. Diving with them is a different story in my experience.

They weren't particularly useful when I was asking about some bits of kit, but then they can drive a boat to where I want to go, wait for me, and pick me up after, for a very reasonable £12.50 a dive.

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

I'm afraid I'm with Porg on this one, nobody I know uses them for boat dives after having 1 cock-up after another.  You can take your pick from the shop staff turning up on the dive site in another boat tooled up with spear guns, reverse profiling, putting newly qualified PADI AOW divers on a 30 metre wreck with viz less than 1m with crap torches (no back-ups), I could go on.

The shop is very well stocked though and the only problems I've had recently is with the newer staff members who have little or no knowledge of the products they are selling.

Cheers

Simon

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

i was annoyed by the spam i got from deep blue. i bought a couple of things from their website - fine, good price, quick delivery, whatever. i was asked to enter my email address, which i did, and they used it to confirm my order. again fine.

not long later, i got emails advertising their special offers, which a) didn't interest me and b) filled my hotmail inbox to bursting

not happy.

but they definitely did not give me any indication when i filled in my email address that they would use it for advertising purposes, and didn't give me the option to opt out. this is against the law.

also, as of about now, it is against the law to for a company to email you about any of its products or services unless you have specifically opted-in to recieve emails from them. i.e. you don't tick a box to say you don't want emails, you have to tick a box to say that you do. if they already hold your email address, they have to email you and ask you if it is ok for them to email you, and if you don't reply they are not allowed to hold your email address. i know because that's exactly what i'm doing with the RSPB at the moment.

so anyway, i emailed them and told them this - and they sent me another advertising email. i emailed them again and said that if i got anything from them after december 15th i would make sure everyone knew they were breaking the law. just have to wait and see now!

sorry for hijacking the thread, but i'm just having another rant. haven't been in their shop and haven't dived with them, but i was so annoyed with them i don't think i would!

carry on!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I get their e-mails every now and again. Best course of action is to phone probably. They are reasonable people, and I'm sure will get you off the list if that's what you want.

As for why they proceed in telling me they've got a sale on and that they're still more expensive than other places normal prices I'll never know.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Dec. 18 2003,00:10)]I get their e-mails every now and again. Best course of action is to phone probably. They are reasonable people, and I'm sure will get you off the list if that's what you want.
i'll assume they have done until i receive another email.  was annoyed that they ignored data protection laws in the first place though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts